Zack

Even though we had a half day, the time I spent in school still felt excruciatingly long. And by the time I left my last class, I was exhausted.

All I wanted to do was go home and take a well deserved nap.

Fred and Dean, the only people I actually considered friends around here of course weren't in school, they had this thing against going to school on the first day. I can't say I blame them, the first day of school is usually just a gossip fest over what happened during the summer.

So far I had overheard way too many stories about people losing their virginity and of course stories here and there about Maya and Golden boy's breakup.

No mention of Maya and I yet, I guess people didn't notice our grand entrance and it didn't help that I didn't see her the rest of the day. The only class we had together today was the class I just so happen to be skipping.

Don't judge me, Mrs Jean hardly ever shows up on the first day anyway. And if she does, all she does is make us talk about our summers.

Hard pass.

I figured at this hour, the guards wouldn't be manning the gate so I could probably drive out undetected if I wanted to.

I was strolling through the hallway, anticipating my sweet freedom when I heard footsteps.

I turned around, already formulating an excuse if it turned out to be a teacher.

Far from it.

Cindy was walking towards me with a smile on her face. She looked hot as usual and her wavy hair was let didn't just the way I liked it.

"I thought I would find you trying to cut class." She spoke with a knowing look on her face.

She was so cute.

Stop it Zack!

I was supposed to be mad at her but I couldn't help it, just seeing her was enough to make me want to shove her against the wall right now.

Damn I missed her!

"Classic Zack Andrews." She spoke as she stopped right in front of me. Way too close for a girl with a boyfriend if you ask me.

I cocked my head to the side.

"Are you stalking me, Wright?"

She blinked innocently. "I just wanted to talk to you. You haven't exactly been picking up my calls or replying to my texts."

I almost scoffed out loud. "Yeah, well, I didn't think Trueman would appreciate his girlfriend talking to another guy."

Her face dropped.

I thought so.

I turned to walk away.

"Zack, wait!" She rushed to stand in front of me, placing a hand on my chest.

There was a playful smile on her face. "Are you jealous?" She teased.

I clenched my fists. This was funny to her?

"Move, Cindy." I spoke through gritted teeth.

She let out a laugh. She knows just as well as I do that my mother didn't raise a man who would ever hit a girl.

"You are, aren't you?" She asked again.

She stood back and folded her arms across her chest smugly.

"I knew you would be jealous. Gosh, Zack, you're always acting so cool when in fact you're just as capable of having feelings as the rest of us normal humans."

I rolled my eyes. "What are you talking about, C?"

She clenched her tiny fists. She wasn't tall, not nearly as tall as Maya, not nearly as tall as anyone really...

So whenever she got upset, I thought it was the cutest thing in the world.

"I'm talking about how you should have just asked me to be your girlfriend in the first place instead of keeping me as your little secret."

So that's what this was about...

I could see the pain in her eyes. I don't know how many times we had had this conversation. I didn't want to go public with our... whatever we had because I didn't want everyone to be up in our business all the time the way it was for Maya and Golden boy.

I just wanted it to be our little secret and I don't know why that would be so bad.

"So that's why you started hanging around Golden boy?" I seethed. "To get me to finally ask me to be my girlfriend?"

She didn't answer, she just continued being her stubborn self. "Don't act like you're not trying to make me jealous, going around with Maya Stevens."

She was jealous. She was actually jealous, our plan was working.

"You're jealous?" I rose a brow at her.

She scoffed. "No!"

She was totally jealous. Her nostrils were flaring, one of her many tells.

"Cute."

"I am not jealous. What's there to be jealous about? I know it's not real. You would never go out with someone like Maya Stevens ."

I don't know why her words rubbed me the wrong way. What was that supposed to mean?
What was wrong with Maya?

I was suddenly taken back to middle school when girls would pick on Maya for no freaking reason. It honestly pissed me off and Maya never even tried to defend herself.

"Do not say anything about my girlfriend, Cindy."

I knew that I had taken her by surprise. "Girlfriend? Please, you can drop the act, Zack. You're not dating Maya."

I shrugged. "Believe what you want to believe."

I turned to walk away, knowing that I had accomplished something. She more or less confessed that she was still into me.

I just had to drive her crazy enough to ditch Golden boy and come back to me.

Game on, Cimdy, game on.

I whipped out my phone and texted Maya, telling her I was driving her home.