Zack

I won't lie to you
I know he's just not right for you
And you can tell me if I'm off
But I see it on your face
When you say that he's the one that you want.
~Treat you better, Shawn Mendes

"Hey." I let out a breath of relief when Cindy picked up the phone. I hadn't been expecting her to.

"Zack." She breathed out my name.

"I'm guessing that's what my called I.d on your phone says." I spoke trying to make a joke. "Unless you changed it to 'the pizza guy' or something."

I heard her sigh. "Why are you calling, Zack? It's late."

I knew I should have been more hurt by her dismissing me. Especially since I hadn't gotten an explanation on why she had spent an entire weekend reliving our past only to be all lovey dovey with Golden boy again on Monday.

"I guess I wanted to check in. See if you were okay." I spoke.

She was silent for so long I thought that I had lost her.

"Cin?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here." I heard the sound of a door closing. "Uhm, why are you asking that?"

I furrowed my brows. "Daniel and Maya? That wasn't cool." I spoke.

Cindy let out a humourless laugh. "Oh so they did do something."

I remembered Maya's insistence that nothing had happened. But still. That wasn't even the point. It was the principal of the entire matter.

She shouldn't have even been with him in the first place.

"I don't know." I grumbled. "But I know none of it's cool."

"Yeah, your girlfriend sucks, Andrews." Cindy muttered.

"Hold up, none of that was even Maya's idea. Golden boy probably talked her into all of it." I spoke defensively not really knowing why.

I was still very much mad at Maya too.

"Golden boy?" She asked in confusion. She then seemed to brush it off and scoffed. "Whatever. It takes two to tango, Zack."

At that moment it felt like so many pieces were crashing in my mind, falling over and revealing something I hadn't seen initially.

"Is that what happened when you started messing around with Daniel while he was still with Maya?" I asked.

I realised I had never truly confronted this issue with Cindy. Not when I had heard that she was hanging out around Golden boy in the first place. Completely betraying what we had.

It wasn't supposed to hurt because Cindy and I never had titles or anything. But, hell, it did.

And she had just done it to screw with me for us being a secret. But why she had done that to Maya. It didn't make sense at all.

"What does that have to do with anything?" She spoke defensively. "It's not like you and Maya didn't get together just to spite us, admit it Zack."

Maybe it would have been easier if I just came out with it. Do the mature thing. Maybe Cindy and I could get to the bottom of all this by actually having an honest conversation without mind games.

But hell, that just wasn't me today.

"I care about Maya. And she's genuine. More than I can say for you."

I could practically hear Cindy's jaw dropping.

"How could you say that to me?" I heard the hurt in her voice and I immediately wanted to take back my words. But I couldn't.

I hadn't lied. Cindy had manipulated me into thinking we could go back to the way things were.

Then she ran back to Golden boy.

What the hell made him so special?

"Maya has never tried to play mind games with me and screw with my mind." I spoke defensively.

She hesitated for a second. "Zack, I was gonna call you. Last weekend... it had meant something to me but... they're things I needed to sort out with Daniel first."

I clenched my jaw. Yeah right.

"You told me you were practically over."

"And we were!" Cindy spoke. "Look, it's just really confusing."

"No it isn't." I argued. "Me or him?" I asked.

I caught my reflection in my mirror and I really wanted to punch myself wondering when I had become this guy. The guy who gave ultimatums.

Cindy sighed. "Zack, don't do this." She begged.

I felt something in me crash.

I nodded. "Yeah, okay, got it."

"I didn't even say anything."

"You didn't have to." I responded making my voice as cold as I could without showing how offended I was. "By the way. Tell your little boyfriend to stay away from my girl. In fact, both of you leave us the hell alone."

I didn't wait for her to respond before I hang up.

I got off my bed and walked over to my bedroom window.

I looked up at Maya's room. The light was still on.

I let out a breath. I shouldn't have been so mad at her earlier.

Knowing Maya, Golden boy had probably given her puppy dog eyes and she had ended up caving.

That was Maya. Too nice for her own good.

I wanted to go to bed. Sleep it off and forget my anger.

But I knew I needed to apologise to Maya.

Going over to her house at this hour definitely wouldn't boat well with the admiral.

I picked my phone up and dialled her number still looking up at her room.

The phone rang three times before she hang up.

Seconds later the light to her room turned off.

I knew there was no conversation that would go on between the two of us tonight.

So I decided to wait for tomorrow.