Zack

"We miss school for a day and you get a girlfriend?" Dean yelled.

I shot him a side look.

I know we wanted the whole school to think we were dating but dam! I didn't want people to think that I was in a relationship.

Dean didn't seem to pick up on my look because he kept talking.

"Not just any girl, Maya freaking Stevens! Our boy is doing it big." Dean patted me on the back.

I smacked Dean on the back of the head.

"Shut up, will you? Maya is not my girlfriend, okay! We're just... chilling."

We were seated by the bleachers in the gym waiting for Coach Picket to show up. He hardly ever showed up. And if he did, he made us play dodgeball or something else that didn't require too much effort. He was too busy coaching his precious varsity team to really pay attention to us.

Fred and I were seated while Dean fooled around with a basketball. We were pretty much on the other side of the gym ignoring everyone else like we usually did.

"Oh! 'Chilling', huh?" Dean spoke as he dribbled the ball. "I know exactly what you mean." He winked at me suggestively.

I rolled my eyes, got up, took the basketball and tossed it across the gym.

"Fetch." I told him.

He glared at me before running after it.

When I went back to sit, Fred was giving me a look.

"What?" I asked.

"You're 'chilling' with Maya Stevens?" He asked.

I nodded. "That's right."

Fred scoffed. "You can lie to Dean all you want man, but not to me."

Fred was right. Dean had been oblivious about the Cindy thing all along but Fred had his suspicions from the beginning until he eventually confronted me about it.

"Maya Stevens is not your type, man. What happened to Cindy?"

"What about her?" I shrugged.

I looked ahead but I knew Fred was still looking at me.

Thankfully, Dean came back at that moment.

He threw the ball at me, probably expecting it to hit me but I caught it effortlessly.

"Come on!" He yelled.

I chuckled and tossed the ball back.

"So," Dean continued to my annoyance.

Anyway, I'd rather he ask questions about Maya than Fred asking questions about Cindy.

"You should tell Maya to hook me up with one of her hot friends. I mean now that you have her and Fred has Sandy - both girls who are way out of you two's leagues - by the way. I can't be the only single one in the squad."

"Don't call us a squad, man. Ever." Fred spoke bluntly.

I had been meaning to ask about his girlfriend, Sandy.

If there's a couple I always thought was perfect for each other, it was Sandy and Fred.

Fred is a cool guy, I would say he has pretty much the same reputation as me around here. Except he actually earned his. Let's just say, about a year ago, Fred wasn't the kind of guy who tolerated much. Mess with him and he'll teach you a lesson, say something to him and he'll say something right back. Don't even get me started on his past with girls.