Maya

Two years ago
"How many times do I have to say please?" Cassie begged as she followed behind me.
I sighed as I stopped to staple another poster for healthier eating habits on the notice board beside the school secretary's office.
As if you could get a bunch of teenagers to ditch pizza Wednesday for what principal Kerr termed 'broccoli bonanza'.

I don't care what you do with broccoli, nothing and I mean nothing could ever replace the delicious cheesy awesomeness of pizza.

The only reason I even got stuck doing it is because Principal Kerr and generally, everyone knows that I'm one of those model students who can't say 'no' to an authority figure.

Pathetic, I know.

"You can say 'please' all you want, Cass, but I am not joining the cheerleading squad."

"Why noooot?" Cassie whined.

"Beeeecaaausee I don't have time for that. I have the debate club, swimming and after school tutoring. I don't need anymore extracurriculars."

"Don't consider it an extracurricular activity, consider it a chance to spend time with your besty who just made captain, FYI ." She flipped her long dark hair and gave me one of those brilliant smiles that had even the senior guys chasing after her.
I placed my hand on my chest and feigned shock. "You made captain? You've only mentioned that to me like fifty times!"
Cassie glared at me.

"Don't be sarcastic with me, girl, because when you get sarcastic, I get sarcastic and we both know that I'm the queen of sarcasm."

I raised my hands in defence. "Okay your majesty, reel your claws back in, I'll back off."

"And by the way, if you really want to spend more time with me, you know you can always join me in the pool."

Cassie gasped and clutched her long dark strands. "Chlorine and my hair DO NOT mix."

I rolled my eyes and started turning to leave.
"Fine, suit yourself but - ow."

I felt someone bump into me and next thing I knew, all the posters I had clutched in my hand went flying out in front of me.

Great!

"You did not just do that!" I heard Cassie yell at whoever had bumped into me. I didn't even look up around. I was already on my knees, trying to salvage what I had dropped.

"I'm so sorry," I heard the deep male voice apologise, "I'm new and-"

"That gives you an excuse to go around shoving people?" Cassie continued.

I kind of felt bad for whoever Cassie was going off on.

Cassie has always been the more vocal, outspoken, don't even dream about messing with me kind of girl.

Even something as small as taking this girl's favourite Jonas brother was bound to make her catch a case.

But then again, if someone else claimed my Joe, I would act up as well.

"Hold up, I did not shove her - let me just help you out here."
The boy crouched down to help pick up the posters and that's when I saw his face.
And that's when he saw mine and our eyes met and I swear those eyes...

It wasn't a love at first sight thing.
It wasn't even like everyone else in the hallway had disappeared because trust me, I could still hear Cassie yelling at the poor boy.
But we had tuned all that out because what existed at that moment wasn't love at first sight or whatever.

It was interest.

It was that, 'hey there, I like your face and I hope you like mine,' moment.

"Hi." He spoke, saying the first words.

"Hi." I responded.

He forgot about the posters and held out his hand.

"I'm Daniel."

"Like from the lions den?" I blurted out.

Smooth, Maya, real smooth.

I wanted to smack myself in the face at that moment.

You meet a cute boy and start bringing up Bible stories? Really Maya?
You're going to die alone.

He laughed. And I swear, that's the first thing about him that I fell in love with. That sound.
"Sure, except, I've never fasted in my life."

And the brother knows his Bible.
It's settled, he is husband material.

I should have been smooth or said something witty but instead, my awful dorky laugh came out instead.

But instead of this boy running the other direction, he smiled.

And that's the second thing I fell in love with.
"I like your laugh, Maya."

And I like your everything, Daniel.

He put together my fliers and stood up, I followed suit.

He handed them to me and I smiled not trusting myself to not say anything stupid.

He scratched the back of his head nervously.

"I'll see you around, Maya." He spoke.

"Try not to shove her next time." Cassie spoke in a fake sweet voice.

Daniel gave her a nervous smile before waving at me and walking away.

I remained longingly staring after him.

"Oh no, you're doing that googly eyes thing. Do not tell me you have a crush." Cassie spoke.

I sighed dreamily. "Crushes are for children, I'm in love."

Cassie shook her head at me as if saying 'you hopeless child.'
"Well he is hot, I'll give you that." She hooked her arm around mine. "But remember, girl, the hot ones are the dangerous ones."

I remember thinking at the time how wrong Cassie must have been. There was no way such a pretty face could cause that much damage.