Maya

I sat through History feeling anxious, I could hardly concentrate on our reading and when Ms Jenkins started asking questions, I was completely blank which was humiliating to say the least

Anyway, I thought, the whole time about what it was Cindy wanted to talk about. I mean it wasn't rocket science, it was obviously related to Daniel but what was it exactly?

Did she want to apologise? Did she want to tell me to stay away from him? I honestly didn't know what to expect.

When the bell rang indicating the end of the period, I didn't know whether to look forward to our conversation or not.

I walked out of class with Cassie and told her about it, of course she offered to stay back with me. She had Jewel in her purse already but I shook my head, even though I wanted Cassie around to speak for me like she usually did, I knew this was just between Cindy and I.

I said bye to Cassie promising to meet her after her Calculus class.

Cindy and I had Chemistry next with Cody.

Cindy finally walked out of class with Emma.

"I'll hurry along and go save us our seats and let you ladies chat." Emma spoke before walking away.

Cindy and I were left alone. She honestly seemed as nervous as I did.

"So... hey." I greeted.

"Hey." She responded, smiling slightly. "How was your summer?"

Well it started out great.
I got to visit my grandma and then well... my boyfriend cheated on me with you so there's that.

"It was good." I responded with a shrug.

"So I'm gonna go straight to the point and address the elephant in the room." She spoke, fiddling with her hands.

"I know things must be awkward."

"Why would things be awkward?" I asked nonchalantly.

Cindy's eyes widened in shock.

That's it... I was cool as a cucumber... call me Maya Patricia Cool Stevens.

She let out a nervous laugh.
"Um... me being with Daniel?"

"Oh that?" I waved her off. "Water under the bridge. It's all in the past."

Yep, totally cool...

"Um... I guess I wasn't expecting you to be this cool with it. I mean Daniel told me you didn't take it too well when he dumped you."

Okay, totally not cool.
He told her about that? Even the embarrassing parts?
Not my proudest moment but since Daniel broke up with me over a text and wouldn't even take any of my calls....
Yes I called him... not a lot.... just a few dozen times... enough times for him to block me.
And then I left messages... lots of messages... embarrassing messages.

Did he tell her about that as well? Did they sit together somewhere, maybe his room or in his car - places he would sit with me - and did they laugh about it?

So not cool.

"Oh that?" I laughed, hoping I didn't sound like a crazy person. "I was just surprised, you know, but it doesn't even matter anymore. I've moved on."

Cindy cocked her head to the side. "Moved on huh? Kind of quick, don't you think?" She asked.

Was she slut shaming me?

"What can I say? Zack's amazing." I tried to look every bit like the girl suddenly in love that I was supposed to be.

"Zack?"Cindy laughed. "As in Zack Andrews?"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Yes, that would be him, why?"

She quickly stopped laughing. "Come on, Maya, you're seriously telling me that you and Zack Andrews have a thing?"

Why didn't she believe me? Did she think I wasn't good enough for Zachary?

"Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying." I spoke more forcefully than I intended.

I could tell she was trying to keep a straight face. "Oh. Well... um, this is awkward."

"Why is it awkward?" I asked stiffly.

She looked around like she was afraid someone would over hear her before leaning in.

"Okay, not many people know this but Zack and I kind of had a thing."

"A thing?" I pretended to be completely oblivious.

"We fooled around a bit, nothing serious."
There was this sense of pride in her voice.

Was Zack just a conquest to her?
For some reason this made me mad.
If Zack was a conquest, would Daniel be too?

"Huh, that's funny, he never mentioned you. Must have not been that important." I gave her a sweet smile that would make Cassie proud.

Passive aggression. Check and mate.

She forced a smile at me. I know I had struck a nerve. I guess Zack meant more to her than she let on.

"Oh will you look at the time!" I exclaimed. "We're going to be late for class."

As if my passive aggression couldn't get worse, I looped my arm around hers like we were the best of friends and we walked to our next class.

Maybe I was wrong. Revenge was sweet.