Maya

I know you got a girlfriend, baby
You know that I got a man, ooh yeah (oh yeah, , ooh, it's cool)
We could wait until we're single (damn)
But it won't be as fun then (Ooh, no, ooh, baby)

Ella Mai and Chris Brown, Whatchamacallit

"Okay Sheila, that's insane and you know it."

I had just walked out of my room and heard my dad's voice travel up.

"No! You know why."

At that moment Eddie came out of his room down the hall as well. I turned to see him focused on his phone but he looked up the minute he heard another yell.

"You lost those privileges when you decided to ruin your own life!"

He sighed at me. "I'm guessing that's mum?"

I just nodded.

When Eddie was younger, I tried to shield him from the after effects of the divorce. Just like Elena did for both of us when she was still around.

But now Elena was gone and even though mum now lived in New York, she still found ways to start things.

"We could use the back exit if you like." I told Eddie.

I hadn't really spoken to Zack since the party but I'm pretty sure our transport agreement still stood. So maybe we could walk over to his place a little early and convince him to have breakfast with us somewhere.

It's what Elena used to do when mum and dad were arguing, get us out of the house.

"Nah, it's best to face the beast head on." He shrugged before walking ahead of me.

I stared at Eddie in shock.

Now when did this boy get braver than me?

Usually I stay away from my parents and their drama but I wasn't about to let my little brother show me up. Or face it alone.

I followed Eddie down the stairs.

The minute dad saw us coming, he changed his whole angry demeanour.

"Hey! The kids are here." He spoke jovially.

It was a wonder to me why he still decided to pretend things were okay. It's not like we weren't present during their marriage and the seperation and the custody battle.

"Is that mum?" Eddie spoke as he grabbed a bowl and poured some cereal into it.

Dad nodded. "Yes it is."

"Cool. Can I talk to her?" He held out his hand expectantly.

I could tell dad didn't really want to give him the phone but he did anyway.

"Hey mum." Eddie spoke, taking the phone out of the room.

I sat at the island and took an apple out of the fruit bowl.

"So..." I started. "Mum got her phone privileges back?"

"Apparently." My father grumbled.

I tried not to bring our mother up with dad, it got him upset. But then he also got mad when he felt like he was putting us in a position where we couldn't talk about our own mother so really there was no winning with the man.

"Well that's cool." I spoke in response.

"You should go talk to her." He spoke trying to sound encouraging.

I shrugged. "I will. After school. You know how mum goes on and on all the time."

So here's the thing about my parents and the divorce. At first, we felt obliged to pick sides.