Maya

Ever since you left
I've been a mess
(You won't answer your phone)
I'll say it once
And I'll leave you alone
But I gotta let you know
~Demi Lovato, Get back

Zachary Andrews was the first boy I ever called my boyfriend.

Before you start jumping to conclusions, let me explain. I've known Zachary since we were in diapers. Our father's had been friends for years considering they were in the marines together. And we've been neighbours for years. Come to think of it. Zachary was not only my first friend but my first best friend.

And I guess that's why no one said a word when at five years old, under the oak tree in the park down the road, I wrapped my arms around him, squeezed him tight and declared that he was my boyfriend.

Well, of course, I can't call him that anymore. I don't even know whether it's still appropriate to call him my friend. We haven't really had a proper conversation in five years when he completely cut me off.

So that's why the fact that he's here, in my kitchen, sitting at the island with his elbows resting on the counter, staring at me is more than unnerving.

"Er... hi." I speak nervously.
How do I talk to him? What do I ask him?

How has your life been the past five years? So I heard you got a few tattoos, huh? That's... Er... so cool?

"Is it true that Daniel Trueman dumped you?"

My face dropped.
That's why he was here? To confirm the most humiliating moment in my life?

I didn't even think Zack kept up with the politics at Westbrook high.
When you heard Zachary Andrews; if you were a guy, you thought, 'cool guy, a little bit of a loner but pretty decent if you're smart enough to not get on his bad side.'

If you were a girl, you heard things like; 'OH MY GOSH! He is sooo hot!'
Zack has this mysterious, bad boy thing going for him that lots of girls like. Problem is, he hardly ever dates.
Or associates with any of the social groups at school in general.

I clear my throat and straighten up on the stool.
"Daniel and I agreed to go our separate ways."

Zack raises a brow at me. "Meaning he dumped you?"

"How is that any of your business, Zachary?" I snap.

Zack nods in confirmation. "You were definitely dumped."

I clenched my fists. "Is that why you're here? To bask in my misery, you sadist?"

Zack looks amused. "More accurately, I'm here to share in your misery. And possibly bring you a solution."

I furrow my brows in confusion. "What?"

He leans forward and I forgot what a pretty colour Zack's eyes are, like a meadow. He never seemed to like having coloured eyes when we were younger but I always thought they were the most beautiful thing.

"I'm here to take away your Daniel problems."

"What?" I ask again.

You're telling me, Zachary Andrews, a boy I haven't talked to in five years shows up at my door in the middle of the night to take away my boy problems? Like some weird fairy godmother?
Can you get ice cream induced hallucinations?