Zack

Hey, girl, is he everything you wanted in a man?
You know I gave you the world
You had me in the palm of your hand
So why your love went away
I just can't seem to understand
Thought it was me and you, babe
Me and you until the end
But I guess I was wrong

~Justin Timberlake, What goes around comes around

"No music today?" I asked Maya

"Oh, nah, not really feeling it." She spoke in a quiet voice.

I could tell something was off immediately. She was unusually quiet and had barely said anything throughout the whole drive, opting to just rest her head on the window and stare out the window.

My mind immediately went to what had happened between Cindy and I today.

Damn, had she found out? Was she mad?

I mean she had no reason to be...

Unless Emma and her crazy theories were right about Maya actually having a crush on me.

No. That wasn't possible. I think I of all people I would know if my best friend had a crush on me.

Ex best friend. A voice in the back of my head reminded me.

Right.

Ex best friend.

"Okay, what's going on with you?" I asked.

If I wanted to know what Maya was thinking, the best thing to do would be to ask.

We might have been as thick as thieves when we were younger and all I had to do was give her a look and she would know what I was thinking. But now, I couldn't read a teenage girl's mind if I tried.

Maya looked up at me and gave me a small smile.

"You must really miss my singing."

I rolled my eyes. "You wish."

She sighed and sat up. "I've just been thinking about Eddie."

"Oh." I nodded remembering what had happened earlier. I can't believe the kid was going through that again and hadn't told me like he was supposed to.

"Did you to talk to him about it?"

"No." Maya spoke with a frown. "But I know something's up. I saw this text on his phone from some girl named Bianca -"

"You read his messages?" I asked in shock.

"I know, worst sister in the world award goes to me but anyway I didn't even read the whole thing because he walked in and saw me and got mad."

"Well you did invade his privacy." I told Maya.

"Whose side are you on anyway?" She snapped at me.

"I'm just saying, I wouldn't be happy if my mum snooped around my phone at his age."

"We didn't have cell phones when we were Eddie's age." She pointed out.

I rolled my eyes. "You know what I mean."

"Anyway, I did it because I was worried. This wouldn't be the first time he was having trouble with kids at school." She admitted with a frown.

Little did she know, I knew that already. But I promised Eddie I wouldn't say anything so I stayed silent.

"I just wish he would confide in me." She spoke in frustration. "The last time it happened, he told Daniel, not me. Sure Daniel took care of it last time but I can't exactly go asking him for help again."