Maya

Yeah
We're happy free confused and lonely in the best way
It's miserable and magical oh yeah
Tonight's the night, when we forget about the heartbreaks, it's time uh oh

22 - Taylor Swift

I was too busy trying to figure out what had just happened with Daniel and Zack that I didn't realise that he had led me to his car and started driving.

Driving out of the school gates. As in right out of the school premises.

I looked out the window and my eyes widened when this fully sank in.

"Zack? Where are we going?" I asked, not even hiding my panicked expression.

"Somewhere." Was all he said.

"Zack!" I yelled. "We're not ditching school!" I squealed as I clutched the seat as if that would stop the car.

"Yes we are, May." He responded monotonously.

"Zack! I'm serious."

"So am I." He responded, his eyes fixed on the road.

Oh Lord, please forgive me of my sins. Blame Zack. Send him to hell.

"Zack! We're going to get in trouble!"

I was dumbfounded. This boy had really just gotten into his car in the middle of a school day and driven out the flipping gate.

"No, we're not." He responded casually as he took a turn down the Park road. "The guard takes his lunch break early because students tend to ditch during lunch period and no one is going to notice my truck is gone because I park in the back. We are not going to get caught." He repeated calmly.

"What about class?" I yelled. "I'm pretty sure the teachers will notice that two whole human beings aren't there!"

Zack was quiet for a moment. "Oh yeah..." he reached into his pocket and took out his phone.

He started texting!

Not only had he ditched school but now he was breaking road rules!

I snatched the phone from him.

"Hey!" He protested.

"I am not going to die because of you." I reprimanded him.

Zack rolled his eyes.

"Fine then you text Fred. Tell him we're sick."

I looked at Zack and frowned. "You're sick?"

"Oh my - no May, I'm not sick and neither are you. It's called a lie." He slapped his forehead.

I all but gasped.

Thou shall not lie anyone? Did that not mean anything anymore?

"Zachary Andrews, I will not tell a lie." I gasped.

Zack looked like he was about to slap his forehead again. "Jesus, May!"

Another gasp.

"Do not use the Lord's name in vain, Zachary."

Zack looked like he was fighting the urge to curse me out.

"It's either you tell Fred we're sick or the school calls your dad, pick one, Saint Maya."

The very last thing I needed was my father finding out about this because that would inevitably lead to me having to explain what had happened with Daniel and I was not going down that road with the Daniel fan club again.