Maya

When will I see you again?
You left with no goodbye, not a single word was said
No final kiss to seal anything
I had no idea of the state we were in

Dont You Remember ~ Adele

Right arm.

Left arm.

Breathe.

Right arm.

Left arm.

Breathe.

Right arm, left arm.

Don't forget to breathe, Maya!

With a few last pumps, a few more kicks, I finally got to the end of the pool.

"Time!" I shrieked.

Lexi smiled at me from where she had been standing, waiting for me with a timer in her hand.

She gave me a thumbs up before offering me a hand to help me out of the pool. I accepted it gladly and let her pull me onto the ledge.

"Once again, the Lions swimming champ does it again!" She spoke giving me a high five.

I laughed. "You know it! There's no way our swim team is getting anything less than first place this year. With my breast stroke and your butterfly, we'll take over this swimming thing and rule the world! Muhahaha!"

"Nah, girl. I'm not doing the evil laugh with you, the rest of the team already thinks I'm evil."

Lexi is the swim team captain.

Not to brag but I'm the best swimmer on the team but I could never be captain because of, and I quote; 'I am way too damn soft.'

Those words belong to none other than my best friend, Cassie Fitzgerald.

She isn't wrong though, I am kind of a pushover when it comes to things. That is probably why a lot of kids found it fitting to always pick on me.

When I think about it, if I hadn't had Zack from kindergarten to middle school or Cassie now, I would be so miserable.

Lexi, on the other hand is more firm when it comes to her post as Captain. She doesn't tolerate, slacking, laziness or indiscipline.

"Time!" I heard another voice.

Anthony emerged from the water, besides me. He was breathless as he held on to the ledge.

Lexi looked at the other stop watch she was holding. "Impressive, Martinez. Not as good as Maya but impressive none the less." Lexi shrugged.

Anthony narrowed his eyes at Lexi. "Gee, thanks, Captain."

"You're welcome." Lexi smiled before walking off to yell at a pair of sophomores who were chatting instead of swimming.

I picked up my towel from the rail and started drying myself off.

I was done with my practice for the day. I had one more class before I joined Cassie for some midday sustenance, i.e food.

"Yo, Stevens." Anthony had gotten out of the pool and started heading after me.

"Yeah, Tony?"

He eyed me in concentration before leaning in like he wanted to tell me a secret. "You're half mermaid, aren't you?" He whispered.

I leaned in as well, my expression as serious as possible. "I would tell you but I'm supposed to keep it a secret."

Anthony chuckled and moved back. "I like you when you're not kicking my ass in the pool, Stevens. You're actually funny:"