CHAPTER 3: First Love. Long Love. Lost Love.

A week has passed.

Neva is doing her usual stuffs, going to school then going home then to school and then to home. She lost her interest in going out since five months ago.

“Ya! Do you want to go out with me today after the class? Just to eat? You know, doing our usual stuffs?” She heard Ae Cha asks her excitedly. It’s the 10th time that Ae Cha asks her to go out and have some fun since last week.

She did not answer.

“Aigoo, don’t tell me you are going to decline it again? Aishh, if you’ll do that, I am not your friend anymore. Please? I miss our bonding time together. Please?” Ae Cha asks her with pleading eyes.

She sighs first. “Okay.” She says with a bored tone. She wanted to decline but she just can’t let their friendship be affected because of her stupid moments.

“Finally! I’m so happy that you are trying to socialize yourself again!” Ae Cha claps her hand in excitement. Neva does not want to argue. She let her think that way.

After the class, they decided to go to their favourite home-made noodle restaurant near Insadong.

“Long time no see, young ladies. Glad to see you back here.” The owner of the restaurant greets them. They became known to the owner since they have been eating in this restaurant since their first year.

“Aishh, we are so busy in our university stuffs ahjumma.  Ahh, it is really a good feeling to be back here again.” Ae Cha expresses with enthusiasm on her face.

“Silly girl. Oh, you seem so sad Neva-ssi?” The owner asks her with a curious look.

Neva looks at her shyly. “A-aniyo ahjumma, maybe I’m just tired in school… Urhmm, so what’s your newest recipe ahjumma?” Neva tries to change the topic. She sees from the corner of her eyes that Ae Cha hisses.

They enjoyed their meal so much. When they are done eating, they decided to go to Insadong to take a stroll. She is searching for her phone while walking. Ae Cha keeps on babbling about something. Neva can’t actually understand Ae Cha fully since her attention is so focused in looking for her phone. Aigoo, just where is it?

She is so engrossed in looking for her phone that she bumps accidentally to someone. “Mianhe, I was not loo---“ Her words are cut when she sees the person that she accidentally bumped with.

“Ha-Ha-Neul?” She exclaimed in surprise. She then notices a girl beside him. The girl has a big tummy. If she’s going to assess it, it is for about 8 to 9 months.

“Ne-Neva ssi! Oh, mianhe. I was not looking.” Ha-Neul said it without looking into her eyes. He intentionally avoids it since he really feels so guilty right now.

The woman smiles at them. “Who are they dear? Are they your friends?”

Ha-Neul seems caught off guard. “Ah… eh… ne! Dear, she’s Neva and she’s Ae Cha.” Ha-neul introduces them to the woman. They manage to bow and greet the girl. “And Neva and Ae Cha… she is So Min.”

“Nice meeting you.” She smiles to the woman. Neva is a bit surprised to herself yet happy coz’ she was able to smile to the girl though deep inside her, she’s trembling. She wanted to run away. She can feel Ae Cha holding her hand.

“Ha-Neul ssi, we gotta go now. It’s almost dark and we still have to travel.” Ae Cha speaks on her behalf.

“Okay. Jalgayong.”

They just both nod and smile to the couple.

“Huh! The nerves of that guy!” Ae Cha said when they are already far away. “Ya, gwenchanayo?”  Ae Cha asks when she notices Neva’s silence.

Neva sighs first. She was just holding back her tears a while ago. Now, it is already falling down on her cheeks. “I wanna go home.”

Ae Cha holds her hand and wipes her tears with her free hand. “Kure.” Ae Cha looks at her with an understanding looks in her eyes. “Just tell me if you want someone to talk to arasso? I will be willing to listen.”

Neva just nods as an answer. She is so tired to speak, so weak to think and so numb to feel what it should be the right feeling she should feel.

Kang Ha-Neul, her 2 years older long-time boyfriend for 5 years. Her schoolmate during her high school years, who turns out to be her colleague in an organization, who then became her bestfriend and later on, became her suitor, then her boyfriend and eventually, her betraying ex.

She never thought Kang Ha-Neul would betray her. It seems so out of his cup of tea. He has always been so good to her, so kind, gentle and sweet. The ideal type of man. Her dream boy. They were so happy, contented and loving. That was what she always thought, but those things were shattered and gone when she knew his infidelity……

“It was a mistake," you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you.” 
― 
David LevithanThe Lover's Dictionary