xvi

"Dawn"

She awoke on the park bench, her shoulder painfully stiff and neck about to crack off. A bed certainly would have been nice. It wasn't a full rest, or pleasant one. The nights usually plagued her mind with nightmares from the root.

Most times her nightmares circled the way she held a kunai above Hitoshi's chest as he spoke kind words to her. Or how she plunged it in deep, feeling his blood lap on her hands like waves.

Mio was a monster and she knew it.

The sky above her was birthing dawn. Early colors of light chased away the night's darkness in bleeding colors of warmth.

What was she to do now?

No stores would be open, the hokage wouldn't be awake and she was not supposed to meet with her team until later.

For once Mio was utterly alone with no where to go and nothing to do.

She felt nothing sitting there. Out of everything in her life, time was the one thing Mio wasn't given.

Though, if there was one thing she knew, it was that she would not be caught dead on this park bench. It was embarrassing enough running away from the Uchiha.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

A figure emerged from the casting shadows. "You shouldn't of run away, dweeb". The raven haired boy approached her with silenced steps. When had he gotten there?

"Mess off, Uchiha" she stood, her bones cracking and aching. It felt as if her body was in decay.

The male only shook his head and proceeded to move closer. Unbeknownst to her, but she plagued his mind. It was a deadly sort of disease that ate away at his thoughts, even when he had more pressing things to think about. It was, dangerous.

"Stop, just come back home with me. I'll make breakfast". This offer was more to ease his mind than hers. For some reason he couldn't sleep at all after she ran off. Dare anyone say- he was worried?

Mio rolled her eyes. As much as she wanted to deny it, her stomach craved food. Still, she questioned his nice offer. Most weren't nice to her, and when they were it was usually in hopes for a favor. "Why should I?"

His hand moved to his brow. Why was he doing this, pushing so hard? "You said, we're friends, this is what friends do".

Finally she gave in. "Okay".

They walked with a brisk pace. A sort of stride that shows you've got places to be.

Her hand swayed, inching closer to Sasuke's. He was becoming a weakness and as much as she wanted to stop it, she couldn't. Mio's finger tips twitched as the back of her hand grazed his.

With a deep breath her hand finally incased his. At first, Sasuke's arms jerked back, alarmed. Then when he realized what she'd done, the boy relaxed and even swung their intertwined hands a little.

"Thank you" she whispered, so quiet and low it almost died before his ears.

The walk back to his house was quiet, awkward almost, but still, neither would trade it for anything.

"Here" he slid a omelet onto her plate.

She eyed it, an omelet was something she wasn't allowed to eat in the root. Food in the root was not for taste or pleasure, but instead sustaining strength.

He watched as she picked up the fork and knife, peering at the golden egg. "What?" He flicked the spatula at her, "never eaten an omelet?"

Mio nodded wordlessly.

She cut the egg and slid it in her mouth. Safe to say it was the best thing she'd ever eaten. A golden array of flavor bloomed inside her mouth. She was already shoveling more into her mouth before the first bit was even swallowed.

That was it.

As the Uchiha watched her in that moment. Wide eyes and the tinted cheeks of embarrassment. Even the little bit of egg on the corner of her lip. That was all it. The moment he finally saw as more than just Mio, an annoying kunichi.

Because in that moment he saw her as something else, cute.

And that, believe it of not, was just the beginning.

"Hey" he spoke captivated, "if you need to, you can live here with me". The words slipped from between his lips before the Uchiha's head could process the weight.

Mio hesitated, peering up at him. Warmth flooded through her chest, "thanks" she for once didn't argue, or tried to push him away. Instead she merely nodded in thanks.

×

I finished a painting and it's nice to just be able to do anything and not worry about school.

This is unedited!

Thanks for all the votes and reads and comments, I love it all and I love you all 🥰❤