4. Strength and Dignity

Börja om från början

'I don't know what you guys think you're playing at, but you'd better watch your backs.' His jaw was set and he fixed me with a cutting look.

'You ruined her once before. It's not going to happen again. If she wants to talk to you, fine. She's at perfect liberty to talk to whoever she wants and she knows what she's getting herself into. We both know she can handle herself. But don't mess her around.' He walked closer to me, his face centimetres from mine. 'You screw her over, I'll screw you over ten times more. Is that clear?' he asked coldly.

I looked him straight in the eyes.

'Crystal.'

'Is that a threat?' Callum asked icily.

Justin had walked away from me and was ready to walk out but he turned around and looked at us stonily.

'No. It's a promise.'

And he left.

I let out a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding in.

'Wow. An over-protective brother. Some first impression huh?'

I took a sip of my drink. 'Can you blame him?'

I could hear chairs scraping back in the dining room and knew that lunch was over.

'We'd better get back. You didn't even eat anything because of your little charade.'

'Ah, I'm in the mood for pizza.' He gave me a knowing look. 'Uncle John's Mighty Meaty pizza.'

I shook my head at him. 'That's disgusting. You're eating rubbish meat, you know that right?'

'That's where all the goodness is man! Live a little! You're too sensible for your own good.' He grabbed my glass, took a deep swig, put it back in my hand and slapped me on my back. I looked at my glass in disgust.

'I'll see you later yeah.' And he too, left.

I stood where I was, already drained. So much drama in one day. Scratch that, half a day. Goodness knows what else lay in wait.

I left the room, not noticing where I was going - and crashed straight into Brooke. my glass slipped towards me, my drink spilling onto my white t-shirt. A deep red stain was spreading across my chest.

Brooke gasped and put her hand on her mouth.

'Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. I didn't see you. I should have been watching where I was going. I-'

'Brooke,' I interrupted. 'It's okay. It's just a stain.' I laughed. 'It'll wash off. I wasn't exactly watching where I was going either.'

'I know but - at least let me help you get it off.' She looked at the stain guiltily.

'It'll take two minutes. It's no biggie,' I said, refusing her offer. I made to walk through the laundry room and she followed.

'I know, but still...'

I sighed but didn't say anything. I was happy for her company. Selfish, I know. The washing machine was already spinning so I'd have to do this one by myself. I grabbed the Vanish bottle and a cloth from the windowsill and placed them on the table. I took off my checked shirt and pulled the white t-shirt over my head.

Brooke was quietly watching me.

'What?' I asked her.

'Nothing. You've been working out,' she observed.

'Impressed?' I teased.

'Always,' she whispered. A rosy pink blush crept up her cheeks. I loved seeing her blush; it made her look that much more beautiful.