4. Strength and Dignity

Start from the beginning

'It was a statement.'

'Why the statement then?' she shot back.

He paused for a moment, analysing her. He leaned forward with his elbows resting on the table, his face inches from hers. She met his eyes levelly without blinking.

'You know what, let's cut to the chase.'

I didn't know what Callum was playing at, but what I did know, was that he was committing suicide.

'You want to come back to my place?' he whispered loudly.

Justin's head jerked upwards in shock and his mum looked astonished. Katherine was looking on in amusement and Lena just rolled her eyes at Enrique who in turn laughed.

I could have throttled the idiot there and then. What the hell was he doing? I shot him evils from where he was sitting, hoping they would penetrate his thick skull. I reached over for the bottle of rose-flavoured Shloer that was sitting next to him and I deliberately knocked his arm with it, trying to convey my annoyance. He took no notice.

Brooke smiled sweetly at him and leaned even closer. Her voice was soft, but every word was pronounced and clear over the silence of the table who were all watching her reaction.

'I don't know. Would two people fit under a rock?'

I resisted the urge to laugh out loud. Of course; Brooke was capable of handling herself. Callum looked at her stunned. Then he rocked back in his chair and hooted with laughter. Everyone stared at him and Brooke looked entertained. He leaned towards her again and my fists clenched and unclenched under the table.

'You're feisty. I like that,' he said in what he thought was a seductive voice. He was failing miserably.

'Shame I can't say something equally flattering about you,' she retorted.

I scraped my chair back, my glass of drink still in my hand, and stood up abruptly.

'Okay Callum. A word. Outside. Now.'

I glowered at him and for once, he didn't argue. He winked at Brooke before following me out. I led him into the living room and half-closed the door once he was in. I rounded on him and grabbed his upper arm.

'What are you doing?' I asked furiously.

He grinned at me. 'What are you talking about?'

'You know perfectly well what I'm talking about. Brooke. You flirting with her. What's your problem man?'

He looked unashamed and it was really frustrating me.

'You called it off. There's nothing between you two which means she's single and I'm in with a chance. She's hot,' he said, beaming like a blimmin' Cheshire cat. 'And until you tell her the truth, it's fair game.'

'No, it's not. I'm fighting for her. Starting now. She's off limits; stay away from her.'

He raised a hand in surrender.

'Dude, relax. I was just messing. I'm not really gonna make a move for her. You're my best friend. I know how much she means to you and I would never do anything like that.' He looked seriously at me.

'You once told me she was worth it. I can see that she is. You said you're fighting for her - it's time to set out the game plan and get on the battlefield..'

I let go of his arm and ran my fingers through my hair.

'It's not that easy.'

Suddenly the door opened and Justin walked in. He closed the door and observed me and Callum for a moment before speaking.