Chapter 12: Everything Burns

Start from the beginning

It was a pretty big dose though, she reasoned with herself. It could have killed a small child easy, lucky they're big strong hunks! With a skip in her step, she pranced over to her elaborate television setup. It had 10 screens with vision of the entire cellar. Night vision cameras, microphones and speakers where hidden throughout the manor. Once, a crew had filmed a 'Ghost-Hunters' episode there and they left their equipment after... Thalia gave them a little scare.

Now she could watch over all of them without even having to try. She had full electricity and a pack of spare batteries she had to put in the cameras every now and then. It had taken a while, but she figured out all the electronics and trap doors through the mansion. Beneath her secret room, there was a trap door that lead to the cellar. It was an easy access to her lovelies whenever she needed it.

So far, she'd only needed it a few times... But she knew she would need it again soon.

With a sweet smile, she sat down on her comfy 'spinny-chair' and looked up at the black and white screen. A few were slightly static-y, but it didn't bother her. She knew every inch of those boys faces like she'd stared at them forever. What was hidden by the dark and static could be filled by her vivid imagination.

Clasping the mouse of the computer, she clicked through pages on the centre screen. She saw all the boys from all angles. Slightly bored, she rested her chin on her hand; clicking away. Her body still raced from the kill but something was... Lacking. The thrill of it wasn't as strong, death wasn't as hypnotizing anymore.

It was almost hurting her.

Letting her thoughts drift, she couldn't help but remember how she got this way... There was a time when Thalia was a normal girl; not institutionalized or crazy. Thalia Hampton was completely, utterly mundane. Until one day, there was a turning point. It was a thing he could never forget.

Many years before:

"Dad!"

Thalia stared up at her Father with her amber eyes sparkling with innocence and her cheeks a rosy pink. Her dark brown hair was neatly tucked behind her ear. Dress flowing in layers of bouncing, white frills. The tiny skirt flew as she spun, bounding into her Father's warm embrace.

Well, at least it was warm for a while.

"Hey kiddo!" Her Father smiled, sitting her onto his hip; an arm loosely holding her and snuggling her into his side.

Thalia's tiny hands grasped his crisp shit. It was a blue - of the lighter variety - with thin, darker vertical stripes. They tucked into his black slacks, ironed to perfection; just as his shirt was. With a wide smile, the younger Thalia nuzzled into her Father's side.

"I missed you today Daddy!" She sighed, flopping backward slightly. "Nana didn't come over so Mummy got angry again."

Her Father's lips slipped into a grim line. He carefully ran his thumb along the swollen, bruised skin just beneath his daughter's eye. His eyes were dropped in sadness; maybe even regret. He loved his daughter, but he wouldn't stop her Mother from beating her; then he would be a hypocrite.

"What did you do this time? You know not to make Mummy and Daddy angry..."

The tiny girl pouted, trying to struggle from his arms. She knew well that her parents had severe tempers, ones which often resulted in her being battered and bruised. Nobody else knew. She was pulled from her kindergarten because the teachers became suspicious. Being there all the time just resulted in her becoming even worsely bashed.

"Go ask Mummy!" Thalia screamed, beginning to hysterically cry and squirm from his arms. She slipped from her Father's arms and crashed onto the cheap carpet. Her wailing increased. Her Dad looked down with a mix of burning anger and disgust.