39. A Hypocritical Murder

Akira Minamoto above

••••

'She's not only merely dead—she's really most sincerely dead'
— Anne Frasier

••••

Ayame Kobayashi came to a halt and pursed her lips. Tadashi stopped as well, perplexed.

"It really is hard to keep up this façade. I try to act like how I used to, but it's even hard to grasp what kind of character I had before," Ayame muttered and Tadashi's eyes widened. "I wonder why... the concept of emotions truly is a farce."

Turning up her head, Ayame stared at Tadashi.

"Why you would ever try so hard to bring me back is a mystery. This case could've moved farther along if you didn't waste your time on me. Now..."

Tadashi's eyebrows knitted together in disbelief. "But, Kobayashi—"

"Three more weeks," Ayame said, startling the brunet.

He blinked rapidly. "Three weeks? Until what?"

Ayame's lips were forced into a straight line. "I only have three more weeks to involve myself in this case."

Tadashi's eyelids shot up in surprise as her violet coloured eyes met his.

"Why...?"

"We've been on this case since September," Ayame exhaled. "We've gotten so far along, but March starts tomorrow. I'm in my third year. Meaning, I'm to graduate soon."

Tadashi couldn't believe her words. They were reasonable points, but she had to be kidding him.

Three more weeks...

They had three more weeks to work with Ayame on this case...

Ayame clearing her throat instantly grabbed the brunet's attention.

"Matsumoto, even though I did say we only have a limited amount of time left, that goes for this case too. It won't always stay this relaxed and simple."

Tadashi stared at the white-haired female, taking this in.

She swallowed hard, eyes smouldering.

"We've been on this case since September," she said. "Even the mastermind must be getting bored."

☻☺

The old dusty sight of the century old shrine gave all of them the chills. Each of them swallowed hard at the eery vibes the place gave off.

"Th-Th-This is i-i-impossible!" squeaked Mayumi, already getting ready to run away. "L-l-let's go home!"

Katsura clasped her hands over her shoulders, holding her in place. Her head was held high despite the situation. Mayumi quivered in place, but she knew she couldn't run away. Partly because she knew it was impossible with her holding her still like this.

"I-I agree with Hiruko..." Ryuu slowly spoke up, "Maybe—"

"Don't be such a baby," Yasuo spat, eyebrows furrowed. He led the way by being the first to step down the cobwebby stairs. "We're here for a reason. Hurry up."

As Yasuo's figure disappeared down the steps, everyone exhaled a loud breath before they all hurried after him. The darkness of the route made them swallow hard as squeaks rang out from underneath them caused by their shoes. Their heart rates had spiked the second they made it to the bottom.