31. All Knowing, Unseeing

Akemi Shirahama above

••••

'The wise man doesn't give the right answers, he poses the right questions'
— Claude Levi-Strauss

••••

"I guess I sort of agreed to the transfer when I was in my tedious mode a few months ago," Mr. Nobuo laughed uncomfortably, scratching the back of his head, "and forgot to tell you all..."

"How could you forget something like that, Nobuo?!" Yasuo demanded, enraged and the club supervisor held up his hands defensively.

"You have modes?" Ryuu asked, bombarding also.

Yasuo shot the teen a glare. "He made that up, idiot!"

Ryuu retorted back to his comment as the two got into a tensive fight. While they did, Tadashi kept sneaking glances at his underclassman. She was... the fifteenth member?

No matter how he thought about it, it was still unbelievable.

Well lately, everything's been happening so fast. And they all seem so far away too. It felt like just yesterday Kiyoshi and Iori and Izumi were with them in the club, solving conspiracies and bickering with everyone else. Moriko was living her life being the role model student for all. Saya (Chiaki) was being as energetic as she always was— even though she was extremely clumsy. Akira was bursting with her cheerful words despite everything thrown her way. Haru eating his many snacks and sweets with a nonchalant personality. Mayumi trembling uncontrollably to every little thing. Atsushi going on and on about manners and respect... Even the Student Council didn't get involved with them until just recently.

Everything came tumbling down in their lives the moment they all joined together and wrote out that plan...

It all started with their annual Crime Games.

And now... nothing but misfortune and despair only spurned them to this point. Everyone was growing distant, everyone was leaving one by one... Boatloads of conspiracies bombarded them daily; their once peaceful life was over.

All because of the puppetmaster; the mastermind behind all these events.

Tadashi's gut churned. Even back when he lost hope and was locked up in his room, it was because he wanted to find him or her to put a stop to this case, he returned. He had thought they were so close too...

But this girl... His eyes fell onto the girl again and she met his gaze. Akemi smirked in response.

"What's wrong, Upperclassman Matsumoto? You look a little sick," she said sweetly.

Tadashi flinched, shaking his head. "I-I'm fine."

"Akemi." The black-haired female shifted her gaze onto the inexpressive senior, and a frown was prominent on Ayame's face. "Was it you who sent out the letters?"

Everyone suddenly became alert, as if they had just remembered the crucial news.

Akemi's smirk broadened at the mention and she intertwined her fingers gleefully. "My, wasn't it beautiful?" she gushed. "One of my best works if I do say so myself! But you guys surely didn't disappoint."

Her gaze clouded in awe.

"Especially you, Aya. Having the mind of a genius really is fortunate at times like these. You make the CRF what it is."

"Why would you do that?" Ryuu shouted, diverting everyone's attention.

Akemi giggled shortly. "To have some fun," she responded dismissively. "Peace is such a bore, don't you agree? Playing with you guys sure has been fun. Even Mayuki relented to this ordeal I had played out."