Begin Again

Chapter 1 - Rachel Stark

I look up at my ceiling from my bedroom, my sheets all sprawled out from a night for restless sleep. I hear a nice bird chirping outside of my apartment window, its song waking me up more. My blonde hair sticks to the back of my neck as I sit up, the curls array. I look over at the time and yawn. It is 6:40, two hours early, again.

I try to put the sheets back to normal and then go into my bathroom. I turn the shower on and strip out of my sweaty pajamas. As I step into the shower, the cold water hits me as I smooth my hair back.

As I wash my hair, I begin to think about my day. I have to head over to the New York City base, which holds one of America's greatest treasures, Captain America. It is pretty boring there, he has been asleep ever since I have been tasked there, and even longer before that. After a few high-stakes missions, Fury moved me here, concerned for my "mental health" or something. I don't know.

After my parents died, my brother, Tony, disappeared for a while. I was only six at the time, so Peggy Carter took me in until I was 18. I volunteered to become a weapons scientist for S.H.I.E.L.D. after I graduated from MIT early. It didn't take much to convince Nick Fury to take me on. 

Fury had moved me into the field only a few months after my arrival. Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton took me on and became my closest allies and best friends. As a skimpy scientist, I definitely needed more help than the other recruits. After a few missions though, I left. I went to live with Tony for a few months to help him rehabilitate after his capture. I stayed there for almost a year and learned a lot about my father's work as well as his. We became closer than we ever had in our lives.

Then, Natasha showed up to help Tony with his blood issue and agent Phil Coulson pulled me back to S.H.I.E.L.D. Unfortunately, Fury would not let me go out into the field for a while. He wanted me to focus on both my scientific inclinations as well as helping advanced humans rehabilitate back into society. Not long after the incident in the southwest, Fury assigned me to New York City, and that's where I am now.

I get out of the shower and begin to dry out my hair. Once I'm through drying my naturally curly hair, I head over to my closet. I grab my uniform and put it on. A cream shirt, brown skirt, and plain brown shoes. I leave my tie off in order to look more fashionable when I leave my apartment. I can't be looking conspicuous because our base here is top secret. No one in the real world knows that we are thawing a World War II vet down the street from Times Square. 

I quickly throw on some peachy pink lipstick and head out the door, purse in hand. This is my fourth time being tasked with checking on the captain. Usually, I check vitals from a room far away and track the serum's signature in Captain Rogers' body. Checking in is always the same; I walk in, look at his sleeping figure, and walk out. Not to say I don't enjoy it, Steve Rogers is quite enjoyable to look at. However, I would rather focus on my new designs for weapons and continue my father's work.

Fury gave me a new power source to work with and I am so excited to see the potential of the tesseract. 

I show up to the base right on time, putting my purse in my locker, my tie around my neck, and head out to the room. As soon as I step out of the locker room, I put in my earpiece and immediately get an alert.

"Agent Stark, our patient is awake," a woman's voice says over my com.

"I'm on it," I say, launching into a brisk jog. Once I reach the room, I pause to brace myself. I take a deep breath and open the door with a smile.