Suiting Up and Shipping Out

Chapter 16 - Rachel Stark

I will avenge him. He was a good man. He had someone that he fought for, and he died. 

He is gone. 

I get up off of the floor and take a deep breath. I look around my room and head straight to the bathroom. I turn the sink on and wipe my face off with water. 

I take a long look into my eyes and begin to think about what I need to do. I don't care what the rest of the team does, but I am going after Loki. He has made this personal. I am so done with Loki's trickery that I will kill him if I get a chance. I am going to New York to sort this out. 

Yes, I know Loki is there, yes I did figure it out all by myself.

Yay for me.

I pull down my hair and run a brush through it. I take a deep breath and grab the top layer of my hair and put it in a ponytail. I peel off the catsuit that I didn't realize I had been wearing for so long and walk back into my room, searching the drawers for a new one.  Once I find one, I carefully pull it up around my stitches and zipped up the front. 

I storm out of my room and head for the armory, refilling my ammo holders and reloading my guns. I grab a fresh pair of widow's bites and a baton. As soon as my suit is full of weapons and all of my holsters are filled, I make my way down to the launch bay to see if I can get a quinjet. 

As I am about to enter the bay, across the hall, I see Steve, Natasha, and Clint in their uniforms. My pace slows, waiting for them to meet up with me in front of the bay door. 

"Probably the same place you are," Nat says, looking me up and down. Her eyes rest on my baton and then meet mine once again. 

"New York," I say, seeing them nod in confirmation. I look to Steve, seeing a bit of sympathy in his eyes. He raises an eyebrow slightly, silently asking if I am alright. I offer a brief nod then move into the launch bay. 

"Let's go avenging." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve, Natasha, Clint, and I were able to jack a quinjet from the hangar with little resistance. Once the ramp closed us in, Steve handed me a new comms device, which happily found its home in my ear. 

"Try to keep up," Tony says through the comm from outside of the jet as I watch him fly past us with ease. I look around in surprise. 

"So you all figured out where Loki was heading?" I ask, taking a seat at the back of the jet. 

"What, like it was hard?" Tony asks. I roll my eyes as I buckle myself into the plane. I take a deep breath, grief washing over me once again with the lack of movement to keep those thoughts at bay. 

"Steve, do you realize that the last time we were on one of these, I was trying to get Coulson to stop talking about watching you sleep," I say, monotonously, looking over to him. Steve sighs. 

"Steve, did you ever sign those cards?" He looks down at the floor of the jet and fiddles with his seatbelt. I'll take that as a no. I think Fury told us this already but I was probably so numb from the shock I don't remember. I unbuckle my belt, relocating to take the seat next to Steve. I reattach myself to the seat and gently take his hand. 

"It's going to be alright." I say looking over to him, "Don't worry."

"I should be comforting you... You had more of a connection to him." Steve says, beginning to trace circles around the back of my hand with his gloved ones. I take in a sharp breath and gently take my hand away, my whole body tingling with the realization.