Eight Months Later

Chapter 41 - Rachel Stark

Eight Months Later

I plug in my curling iron, ready to turn my hair into a lightly curled mess. Tony is having this party tonight to celebrate us. No fancy occasions, just us. 

I grab my dress, a silky red slip with thin straps that stops midway down my thigh. I hold it up to my body and look at myself in the mirror, tilting my head in thought. 

My phone starts to buzz, cutting my mind short. I toss the dress to the side and pick up the phone. I smile when I see the caller I.D., answering the phone quickly.

"Hey, almost done shopping? The party is going to start in an hour." I say through the receiver.

"Yeah, I just need to pick up one more thing," he says. I can hear the smirk in his voice. I smile and shake my head.

"Alright, but if you are late, Tony will have your head," I say chuckling into the phone.

"Ah, he won't care that much. It is Tony we are talking about after all. Plus it is something I'm picking up for you. So you can't be too mad at me." he says.

"Alright, I give. I'll see you in a little bit," I say biting my lip. 

"I'll be home faster than you can say ... um... I need a good word," he says.

"How about bio-nuclear astrophysics?" I say.

"Alright, see you," he says chuckling as he hangs up the phone. I put my phone back in its place on the vanity and I start on my makeup.

I press some concealer onto the bags under my eyes trying to cover them up. I add a touch of blush just to the apples of my cheeks and the tip of my nose. Once I finish my very natural makeup, I start to curl my hair when I hear the elevator open. I smile, jump up, and run out of my room to greet him at the door. He steps out of the elevator and I jump into his arms, causing him to drop all of the bags. I give him a quick kiss on the lips.

"Welcome home!" I say, still in his strong arms. He places me back on the floor, not breaking the hug.

"I really like this welcome," he says, finally breaking the hug to pick up all the bags that were scattered. He places them all on the counter and successfully finds the smallest bag out of all of them. He pulls it out of the heap. "Turn around, I have a surprise for you," he says smiling. I turn around and close my eyes. He brushes my hair all to one side and places a cool chain around my neck. "Open your eyes," he says. I open my eyes to see a necklace with a small wing on it. "It is from my old uniform. Like the one I had on my helmet during the war," he says.

I turn towards him with my mouth open in shock. I quickly throw my arms around him. "I love it so much," I say.

"Well I know that you don't like jewelry and I thought this would be a little less flashy than a shield," he says with a smile and a sly wink.

"Thank you, Steve, I love it," I say.

"You're welcome. Anything for my best girl," he says with a chuckle. I smile and kiss him on the lips.

Once we break away, I go to finish getting dressed for the party. I quickly finish up my hair and then unplug the iron. I grab my red dress off of the bed and slip it on. I throw on a pair of matching red heels and check my makeup one last time in the mirror as I head out of my bedroom. 

Yes, Steve and I are dating. We have been for eight months now. After that night on the balcony, we were inseparable. He took lots of time to help me focus on recovering and to help me follow through with my therapy. 

He is currently trying to get me to come to terms with my powers, although I haven't really done much with them besides learning how to keep them hidden away. There were a few incidents in training that made me never want to use them. 

Tony placed us on the same floor and helped Steve officially move into the tower. We have been basically living in the same place as long as we've known each other, so this isn't much different. Although, now that we are officially together, we do share a room. I just use the second room to get ready.

Steve emerges from his room in a dark crimson shirt, the color complimenting my dress nicely. 

"So, you saw my dress and decided to copy," I say as he walks out of the other room. He smiles at me, looking between me and his sleeves as he goes to cuff them. I watch him carefully, my eyes studying his solid forearm muscles. I let out a low whistle which is met with a sarcastic spin from Steve. I laugh as he brings me into a hug.

"You look fantastic," he says.

"You don't look so bad yourself," I say.

"I'm so unbelievably lucky to be able to call you to mine," he whispers as he leans down to kiss my forehead. I smile and kiss him on the cheek.

"If we don't get going then we'll be late to the party," I say with a wide smile. I gently wrap his hand in both of mine as we walk over to the elevator.