Chapter Two- The Quartet

Start from the beginning

"Gladly, madam. Forgive my rudeness. My name is Edward," he said. I nearly choked. "And this is Edmund." Edward pointed to his brother. I had to do my best to keep from laughing my head off right then and there. It was one thing to play around with Victorian manners but the Victorian names? Seriously?

"Are you two twins?" I blurted out. Anything to keep myself from laughing and comparing them to people who had the same names. After all, their names appeared in a lot of the old classics that I had read. A lot.

"Yes, we are. Care to guess who's the older one?" Edward interrupted my thoughts. I pondered over this. Would it be Edward with the playboy manners or Edmund? Edmund hadn't spoken a word yet but I had a feeling that he was anything but quiet. He was currently leaning against a pillar, looking amused, a smile tugging at his lips. He looked more … mature?

"You?" I said, my answer sounding more like a question than a statement as I pointed to Edward.

"How did you guess?" Edmund spoke this time, still sounding amused.

"Ya, especially since Eddy over there is supposed to look more mature," Edward complained.

"Looks are deceiving," I smiled. "And what's your nickname if his is Eddy? Your names are really similar."

"Do you really want to know?" Edward smirked, leaning closer. I raised my eyebrows again.

"Playboy?"

"Bingo!" He grinned. "So what do prize would you like for guessing correctly? A drin-"

Before he could suggest anything, I cut in, but not before moving a good metre away first, "So who's your other friend?"

Edward's jaw dropped. I stared. He wasn't thinking that I was going to stand there and flirt with him, was he? Ridiculous. I barely met him. I heard someone chuckle, as if echoing my thoughts. I turned around, expecting it to be Edmund but he was too busy smirking at his twin. It had to be the other guy then.

"Avery," the other guy or now known as Avery spoke, holding out his hand.

"Eleanore. Nice to meet you," I smiled, shaking his hand.

"Well, it was very nice meeting you but I'm afraid we have to go now," Edward said, having recovered from his initial shock.

"See you around," Edmund added.

"Bye," Avery finished.

I waved goodbye and they left. The crowd gradually dispersed, everyone going on with their duties. Wow, this was better than my old school. I've seen a gaggle of fan girls following jocks who were less handsome than these guys. Then again, they grew up together so the girls had years to get used to them and stop drooling. Plausible.

"OMGTHEFAMOUSQUARTETTALKEDTOYOU!" Angelina was ranting in my ear.

"Huh? Sorry, didn't catch that," I apologised sheepishly. I must have been zoning out for the hundredth time today. I should really stop that.

"Thefamousquartettalkedtoyou!"

It was comforting to know that it wasn't my fault that I could not hear anything. It was hers. She was talking so rapidly her words stringed together to form a huge chunk of indigestible gobbledygook. Apparently, the fan girls haven't stop drooling yet.

Angelina finally calmed down enough to utter coherent words. "The famous quartet talked to you!"

"Who? Them? But there were only three," I said but as soon as the words exited my mouth, I knew the answer. The last member of the Quartet was the first guy whom I met. And he was the leader. How I knew he was the leader? He had that aura of superiority and poise about him. A really strong one at that.

"The Quartet consists of the twins, Edward and Edmund, Avery and lastly Adrian. They have been together since elementary school. They were accepted straight in Grade 1. That's really rare," Angelina explained

"Oh," was my intelligent answer.

"The twins are total charmers. Edward flirts a lot but I think he's just being nice. Girls think he actually likes them. As if! He's really talented too. Especially in the drama and arts. He's an incredible actor! You should see one of his plays. Amazing! He also writes. His literature works are brilliant! All the girls in the drama and literature section are his fan girls. He is the most popular after Adrian."

"Uh huh," I said but I soon found out that my response was not needed. Angelina was perfectly happy to start a monologue about the Quartet.

"Edmund is a charmer too but less flamboyant than Edward. He is a wonderful chef. What he makes is always on demand. His fan girls are usually those in the culinary clubs and most importantly, debate and philosophy clubs.

Avery is the rebellious one. He is the best archer in the whole school. And he is really good is Math and Sciences. The nerds and tomboys are usually swooning over him.

And lastly Adrian. He was the one that was not there. But he's the most handsome. Even you would swoon even though you seemed impassive at meeting the other three. He's perfect. Godly. The king. He's really good at debates. They say he's never lost at anything before. His fan girls are varied but they are usually the most popular girls. And so that's the Quartet," Angelina concluded.

A very detailed introduction. My brain wasn't paying complete attention though. I was distracted by random thoughts such as where do the rest of the male population fit in? If the girls were so obsessed with the quartet, there wouldn't be enough attention for the guys. Poor them.

"So which one is your favourite?" I asked. She was bubbly and cheerful so she would prefer charmers. It seemed that her type would be Edward. On second thoughts, maybe Edmund.

Instead of answering directly like always, Angelina blushed, stuttering. I raised my eyebrows. Even her neck was tomato red. She was embarrassed. That meant that it could only be Edmund. According to her, almost half the female population were Edward's fans. She would have no reason to be self-conscious if she was one of them.

I smiled cheekily and leaned in closer to her, whispering in her ear "Angelina, you like Edmund. Right?"

She blushed even more, if that was possible. She was that red. Avoiding my gaze, she stammered, "Uh, he's very sweet, once in elementary school, he baked me a tart to cheer me up when I failed a test… so uh I guess uh yes…"

I smiled, triumphant. I was more successful than I had thought. She even told me why she liked him.

"I gotta go now. Good luck," I winked. She smiled tentatively. I knocked on the door of the Headmaster's office and entered.

Note: Remeber to comment!