Chapter 1

I smiled as I fed the squirrel, gently and slowly rubbing its little back as it bravely ate its bread. "You shouldn't run over the road like that, Mochi," I whispered. However, Mochi ran away into the shrubs beside my house. I sighed, suddenly feeling dizzy and realizing I needed to have some breakfast.

As I walked back inside, I took off my boots and dusted off the snow that had fallen on my hair. "Mumma, I'm going to be late for school. Can I please have my breakfast?" I asked. My mother smiled and slid a bowl of yogurt and fruits in front of me. "Remember to wear your socks and take your lunch, okay?" I giggled and nodded in response.As a child, I always forgot to wear my socks, and as a result, my legs would freeze in the end. I wondered why that happened.

"Bye Ma and Pa, I'll see you later," I said, closing the door and causing some snow to fall off the edges. I walked down the stairs, enjoying the sight of my breath turning into thick white air when I sighed. It always fascinated me. My high school was only fifteen minutes away from my house, so I thought it would be unnecessary to take the bus. However, walking there in winter always made my legs feel numb.

When I entered the classroom, I was greeted by my friend, Simon. He had unique features with his white hair and green eyes, and I couldn't help but feel a twinge of envy. "Will you join the art club with me, Iris?" he asked. I smiled and replied, "Of course, I will. Besides, there's nothing else that interests me anyway." He nodded and returned to his notes. After signing up for the art club, we headed to the canteen together.

"Is it greasy pasta again? They serve the same thing every time," Simon whispered. I offered him my lunch since I had too much and wouldn't be able to finish it all. He chuckled and said, "I won't mind." It made me smile to see how comfortable we were with each other from the first time we met. After finishing our food, we made our way to the art club. I really liked the fact that we were allowed to choose our own subjects and not attend classes we weren't interested in.Being a part of the art club ignited a greater love for drawing within me, even though I wasn't particularly skilled at it. 

"See, it makes a huge difference when you use a different brush," Simon explained, pointing out a technique. I smiled and nodded, realizing that learning literature and painting were the things I truly wanted in my life. Nothing could be more exciting than that. However, I must have gotten carried away because soon enough, I realized it was already past noon. I had been completely absorbed in my own world of painting and hadn't noticed that three hours had passed and that the other students, including Simon, had already left.

In a rush, I gathered my belongings, hurried to the door, 

and shut it behind me. I walked down the dark hallway, disliking how the noise echoed through the empty space. I opened my locker, grabbed what I needed, and then proceeded to the back entrance of the building. I had recently learned that the faculty members stayed in the school until evening, so it was okay for me to stay there until six in the evening. However, walking down the empty road felt quite scary as it was almost dark, but I had to make it to the supermarket.

Lost in my thoughts, I entered the supermarket and began browsing the aisles, picking up a pack of cookie dough and some milk. I deliberated

between buying some chips or getting instant noodles, eventually deciding to buy both. "Thank you, come again," the girl at the counter said as I waved goodbye and left.

About ten minutes later, I noticed a man leaning on a bike, playing with something shiny in his hand. Curiosity got the better of me, and I found myself watching him intently. However, the slippery road caused me to trip and fall to the ground. Thankfully, I managed to land on both my hands and avoided any serious injury. "Oh no," I whined, quickly gathering my fallen things and placing them back in my bag. Unfortunately, a small can of soda for my dad rolled across the road and stopped near the man's feet. My eyes trailed up from his legs to his face.To my surprise, his eyes were fixed on me. I cleared my throat, standing up, and making my way towards him. "I'm sorry," I said, picking up the can of soda. "This little guy seems to like rolling, I guess," I chuckled, trying to break the tension. My gaze returned to his face.I gulped as I watched his eyes staring back at mine. He was wearing just a hoodie with the hood over his head and holding a knife in his hand. His expression was serious. Should I run away if a man had a knife?

"Aren't you cold?" I asked, attempting to engage in conversation.He raised an eyebrow, which I found cool. "Get going," his husky voice landed on my ears, his tone dismissive. Suddenly, curiosity overwhelmed me. "You should wear something warmer, or you'll freeze up," I said, genuinely concerned for his well-being. However, he only grunted, making me frown.

"Listen up, get the fuck out of my face, or it won't end well," he snapped, his frustration evident. I bit my lip, looking into his eyes. He had a small scar at the start of his left eyebrow, which somehow made him even more appealing. "Are you fucking deaf?" he continued, his tone harsh. I flinched at his words. "Huh?" I managed to respond, feeling intimidated.He clenched his jaw, looking away. "Get away," he said, his teeth now closed, but his hostility still apparent.

Feeling a sense of fear, I took a step back, and my eyes landed on his injured hand. I gasped, quickly covering my mouth with my hand. "Your hand is bleeding!" I exclaimed, concerned for his well-being. He looked down at his palm and then back at me. I instinctively knew I couldn't just leave him like that.

"You really shouldn't play with a knife, you know. It's dangerous," I said, rummaging through my bag to find a large bandage. "Here," I said, extending my hand towards him. He simply stared at me, seemingly taken aback by my gesture. "Take it. It might not be much, but it could at least stop the bleeding," I offered, gently taking his other hand and applying the bandage to his injured palm.

"Bye-bye," I said, waving at him and starting to walk back on my path.While she walked away, Eric stood there in utter horror. How could she have the nerve to talk to him, to touch him like that? He clenched his jaw, turning his palms into fists and throwing the bandage she had given him onto the road.The girl's audacity continued to perplex him as he watched her leave.