19: Fear The Reaper

I walk through the jail along side Veronica

I walk through the jail along side Veronica. She holds my hand. She had spent the night with me, cheering me up after what happened. Archie and Mad Dog had been locked up all night, due to Archie being caught with Fizzle Rocks. The officer opens the cell. "I posted your bail as soon as I could."

"Thanks, Ronnie." He says. Archie grimaces, already hearing what happened between me and Pea. "Emmy," I choke on a sob, his arms wrapping around my frail body as I hold him tightly. He soothes me as he rocks us back and forth.

"We'll pay you back." Mad Dog says to Ronnie.

"Gentlemen, that's the least of our worries." Veronica says. "Elio's been a busy bee."

We go to Pops, where the two watch the news of Elio blaming Archie for what happened. I sit next to Archie, barely listening. I feel the physical pain in my chest. My eyes swollen from tears. Archie looks at me. "You wanna talk in the car?"

We sit side by side as he drinks his third soda. I sniffle, playing with my sleeve. "I'm so sorry, Em. What he did is wrong. So wrong."

I shrug. "I was stupid." I play with the promise ring on my finger. Archie sighs, taking it from my grasp. I gasp as he steps out fo the car, me rushing after him. I gaze in shock as he tosses it into the trees behind Pops. I look at him wide eyed. "What was that for!?" I screech. Archie looks at me, his eyes dark. He was angry.

But not at me.

At Sweet Pea.

"Don't you get it, Em!? He wasn't right for you in the first place!" He screams at me. "You two were toxic. Your first fight you were throwing dishes, you hid your kid from him for months! You two were always keeping things from each other." Archie grabs my hands. "He was never worth it." He whispers. I look up at Archie. His eyes are red, he was about to cry. "For years I've watched you be in so much pain because of your family or your boyfriend or losing your daughter. And I had the chance to fix it!" My eyes widen at the sudden turn. "I've loved you for years Emmy! And the minute I lost you I lost a piece of myself!"

His fist clenches as he paces. "And then I watched you and him. I watched him kiss you. Hold you. Then suddenly treat you like shit." He growls. "I want you Em! I love you!"

"Why did you get with Josie, then?" I whisper.

Archie runs his hand through his hair. "To get back at you and Sweet Pea." He groans. "I hate seeing you with him." He says. His brown eyes look at me. I'm frozen in place.

Memories of the time we ran from Hiram flood my mind.

He sighs, looking at the sky. "I told her you're my best friend. The person I trust more than myself." I bite my lip, smiling weakly. "I said you're stronger than anyone, that you deserve to have a better life than this."

"Archie-"

"Maybe you should go back to Riverdale." He says. "Tori needs to be with Sweet Pea. I don't want her running away all of her life."