2.2 Fortune & Mens Eyes

"Hey Ethel

"Hey Ethel." I smirk, standing in front of her, stepping on her shoe, intentionally unintentionally.

Jughead waves the wooden object in her face. "Hey, does this look familiar to you?" He says to her.

She sucks in a breath. "Where did you get that?" She asks nervously.

Jughead hops onto the couch, Betty standing next to me. "Bens hospital room. What were you doing there?" He asks.

"I don't have to tell you anything, okay, you're not the police." She says, attempting to move. I stand in her way, however.

"Ethel, wait." Betty says. "We're just trying to figure out what happened to Ben and Dilton and the missing Scout."

"Is this the Gargoyle King?" Jug asks, standing up with the rest of us.

Ethel's eyes don't leave the totem. "How do you know about that."

I roll my eyes. "Dilton told us about your dingle hopper game before he sacrificed himself to the thing." I reply. "So, is it?"

She shakes her head. "No. No, it's the opposite." She stutters. "I made that talisman to protect Ben."

Betty jumps in. "How do you even know Ben?"

"He's my boyfriend."

I snort. "Wait, what?"

"We started dating this summer." Betty nods in understanding, looking up at me. "And we spent all our time in the bunker, so..."

"What bunker?" Jughead asks.

Ethel's eyes switch between me and Jug. "Never mind." She chuckles nervously.

Betty, who's growing impatient as well, says, "Ethel, just..." She waves her hands around. "What bunker?"

The girl purses her lips. "Diltons. In the woods." I furrow my brow, looking over at Betty. Dilton had a bunker in the woods for his stupid satanist game? Jughead asks the same question, Ethel nodding. "It was our secret spot. And Diltons too."

"Can you at least just tell us where it is?" Betty asks her.

"I mean, I can't. It's too hard to describe."

I step forward. "Then show us, tonight." I state as kindly as possible.

"It's either us or Sheriff Minetta." Jughead adds.

"Okay, by you have to keep it a secret." Ethel finalizes. We all agree. "We have to go at night, so nobody can see us." She looks over at me. "Do you guys know where Fox Footbridge is?"

I make my way through the halls, Betty grabbing onto my wrist. "Emmy, are you okay?" She asks quietly.

I frown, adjusting my bag. "Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

"You've just been off. Ever since the baby-" She sighs. "You've been almost pulling a sophomore year Cheryl. When she was a horrendous bitch because of Jason." She tells me. "You were colder than cold to Evelyn and Ethel, and you look like you're going to pound Josie or Sweet Pea. Or both." I look away, looking at the inside of a classroom. "I don't want you doing anything you'll regret."