choke on it

Athena's POV

I feel the tears running down my face as soon as the door closes behind Gally. Newt locks the door, and stays there, not knowing what to do. I sit down on one of the beds and start taking off my boots. When I unbuckle my belt, he walks over to stop my hands. "You don't have to do that. It'll be cold, even with blankets." I look up at him, my eyes probably red from the crying. "Better hurry and get in the bed than Newt." "Athena..." I yank my pants down and kick them through the room, angry. "Why not Newt? Because of what Gally would think? or say? Because I don't freaking care!" He hugs me. It's different, but it doesn't feel as nice as one of Gally's hugs... "I'm not talking about that. You must know now how I feel about you and..." I avoid his gaze. "... I can see how you feel about Gally. He feels the same way about you. He's a bloody shank, but he really cares about you." dammit Newt and his wise talking. "So you're not going to..." He laughs softly "Oh no, I am. I could never say no to cuddling, ask Tommy." He grins and I feel myself smile faintly. He's making me feel better. "Fine. I will ask him. Thank you Newt, you're a bloody good friend." He sighs at my little accent impersonation. "Alright it's late, get under those blankets Greenie. It'll be our little secret." Gally will know. He knows how cold it gets...

Sunlight fell through the window, directly on my face, waking me up. "mmm..." I hide my face under a blanket, turning away from the light. Kicking something next to me. "Goodmorning to you too." I open my eyes again, looking at Newt's face, sleep still in his eyes. "Sorry... What time is it?" I'm laying on his chest. Our legs are intertwined. "We still got half an hour before we really need to get up." I sigh, sitting up. where did his shirt go? I could have sworn he had one on when we went to bed... "I could really use a shower..." But Newt doesn't say anything, he just stares at my back. Apparently, my shirt got stuck under my bra strap, exposing my entire back when I sat up. Gally would have started tracing figures with his fingers. "Oh... sorry. I'll just... go shower then. " I get out of bed and leave Newt, whose still staring at me with wide eyes. When I pick up my pants and my comb, he got back to his senses. "Yes, Shower. Good that, I'll join you." I stop and turn around, my eyebrows raised. He blushes, and starts talking again, fast. "Not in the same stall, the stall next to yours, to make sure you're left alone and stuff... "OhKay... let's just go before the Runners get up." Thinking about Minho's flirtations, I feel my stomach turn a little. Not this early in the morning. Please, anything but dealing with that.

I shower in silence, Newt does all the talking for me. I don't really listen, he's talking out how they are going to test what types of plants grow better in certain area's in the Glade, lighting and dry or wet soil and all. Another voice answers. "Who are you talking to Newt? or have you finally lost it?" Thomas. Which means... Minho. "Judging by those tiny feet, Goodmorning pretty lady." I sigh, there still was a 5 cm gap underneath all of the stalls, to let the water flow out. "Choke on that Minho." I could also just have growled at them, because no one said another word after that. Some more voices fill the bathroom "She's really angry Chuck. I don't think flowers are gonna magically fix this..." Gally's voice. He's here. "Uhm Gally... As a friend, stop talking." Minho tried to keep his voice down, but I had turned off the water after washing my hair two times. "Mind your own business Minho. Chuck maybe you could talk to her, explain..." I yank the door open, my hair wrapped in a towel, fully dressed. Still his brown shirt... "Explain what Gally? That you lied to me? Just so you wouldn't have to 'share'?" I walk past Chuck, hitting Gally in the shoulder on purpose. "Shank" He grabs my arm and pulls me back, the scowl back on his face "What did you sa..." I let the tip off the knife prick the skin underneath his jaw, challenging him to stand still. "I said Shank. Now let go." the surprise on his face, I pulled the knife so fast. I knew strapping it to my leg was wise. His grip on my arm loosens, I step back, letting down the knife. "Smart boy." I don't wait for Newt to get dressed and go downstairs. Walking like I own the place. Because, starting today, I do. I ignore the wrenching feeling in my chest, I can't go back to him. I can't trust him. I'm really on my own now...

Gally's POV

She pulled a shucking knife on me. I turn around, Newt standing there, still damp from the shower. "She pulled a knife. On me." I was fuming, spinning around and looking at Newt.  "YOU GAVE HER A KNIFE!?" Newt threw his hands up "Must've been in my room, the one from last night. I didn't know she took it..." His expression changes, realizing what was going to happen. The first idiot that tries anything, could get stabbed. "Oh no.. nononono. She's pissed. " "Maybe her having a knife isn't such a bad thing?" I look at Thomas. Could he really be that stupid? "Thomas. Would you hand me a knife right now, knowing that I'm angry?" He looks at Newt, whose eyes widen. "She's got a temper, similar to Gally's. But instead of avoiding her, like they do Gally, Gladers go find her..." Thomas looks from Newt to me and back. "Oh this is bad. What are we going to do?? She's going to get banished if she kills..." "We are not doing anything. I got an idea." Alby just walks away after his statement. Where did he come from? "wait what?" I follow him down the stairs. "Alby she is hurt, emotional... because of me. We..." "fought. I heard. Shucking hell, everyone heard. Just wait until breakfast, I'll make an announcement. Time we settle this."  I got a bad feeling about this...

Athena's POV

I sit alone at breakfast, even Chuck doesn't dare to sit with me. I must look really angry to even scare him away. "I guess this spot isn't taken." Alby sits across from me. At least he's not afraid. "If it's about the knife, I'm not giving it back." He smiles and breaks a piece from his bread. "I didn't ask you to, did I?" Wait what? I'm confused. "So... I can keep it?" He laughs. "It's not mine, ask Newt. He's the one you stole it from." Now I'm really confused. Gally walks past, slowing his pace a bit, looking at me. I refuse to look at him, but he still sits down next to Alby. He better not..."I was hoping we could talk..." I grunt, getting up from the table, taking my plate back to the kitchen. Frypan had said I could work with him today. At least I didn't have to spend the day with Gally. I don't need a babysit anymore. I hear Alby clear his throat loudly, indicating he was going to make an announcement. another Bonfire? The chatter fell silent. "The reason we're surviving in the Glade is because we established rules. Keep the order. Trust is key. As most of you know, Athena has been with us for a week now. And still, there is no trust. Some of you, " He looks over at Adam, "make it impossible for her to feel at home here. She's a Glader. Treat her like one. And for those who need to feel before they learn, I gave my permission to let her carry a knife on her at all times. So, fair warning Shanks. Bothering her will come at a price, and if you live to tell..." He laughs. "Then you'll have to face the Keepers." He sits back down, but it stayed silent. Most of the Gladers look at me, standing near the kitchen. A smile plastered on my face. If there ever was a time to be grateful for Alby, this would be it. He nods at me, I nod back. Gally still stares at me, his eyes full of pain. I see a thin red line, going down his neck. Blood. I cut him. Dammit, I thought I was careful... Guilt starts twisting in my stomach. I never wanted to actually hurt him...