gotcha

Newt's POV

I still can't get the image of her, laying in the Box, hurt, out of my mind. Even as I watch her pet one of the cows. "They like you. Maybe you could be a Slicer." I smile at her, but she doesn't smile back. "Slicer... as in, a butcher? killing animals?" her voice is soft, like she's afraid some else might hear her. I look at the fence in front of me "Yes. That's also a part of this job. It's not for everyone but you could get used to it... hey Bark" I pet the dog as he walks past me. Athena immediately sinks to her knees as she sees the shaggy Labrador approaching. "Hi there Bark. I'm Athena" She smiles at the dog, as he lays down and on his back, begging for a bellyrub from the girl. wouldn't we all.  I shake my head. Athena is petting Bark with both her hands now, not a single worry in the world. I couldn't bare the thought of breaking them up, so I let her be. "I'm going for a drink, be right back" "yeah sure." She probably didn't even hear me. she's gonna drive all of us mad. she is driving me mad. I walk over to the barrel of rainwater and first splash some water in my face. After drinking the entire ladle, I turned around and watched Athena across the Glade, playing with the dog. "She's something, isn't she." I look at the person next to me. "She sure is bloody something Frypan. sure is..." He turns back to the kitchen, already preparing lunch. I head back over the Bloodhouse, where Athena is running around with Bark, pretending to try and catch him, as he jumps and run circles around her. I can hear her laughter, it's like music. Winston, the Keeper of the Slicers, walks up to me "What the shuck is she doing? that's not a part of our job Newt. she's... fooling around. I won't have it." I give him a glare and he backs off. "Alright Greenie, next up, the Builders!" I see her expression changing, from pure joy to stoic in a second. 

"Gally! are you up there, you shank?" I can't even see him from down here. Always up on bloody roofs. I see Athena looking at something behind me. well, someone. "Right here Newt. Tired of babysitting already?" he glances over at Athena, petting Bark. The dog has decided to come along, following her around like... a puppy? "No, I'm not. I'm showing our Greenie here the different jobs. Like Builder. You're the Keeper of the Builders." I see him rolling his eyes at me, as usual. can't believe this shank got to stay with her all night. "Hi Athena. Made a friend there?" she smirks at Gally, saying something about a better looking friend. and then, to my surprise, Gally laughs. at what clearly was an insult directed at him. since when does Gally laugh??  I step up to her "Right, let's get on with the tour..." "Newt!" I hear Alby shout behind me. Gesturing for me to come over. bloody hell not now... I don't even need to turn around to see the smug face of Gally as he says "It's alright Newt. I'll show the Greenie the Builder hut. Go be a leader somewhere." I glance over my shoulder at Athena, she waves me goodbye. "I'll see you later Newt." shucking right you'll see me later. 

Athena's POV

Newt seems okay. The accent is nice to listen to and he seems to try his best to cheer me up. I'm just glad that I can sit down and play with Bark some more. Gally is talking about the different kind of tools the different kind of Builders use, but I'm focused on the shiny fur of Bark. "... and that's why you are never going to be a Builder." I look up at Gally "Huh what? Sorry I really wasn't listening. Because I don't care." I see him getting annoyed and smile, knowing that will make it even worse. He scoffs at me and starts tidying up the tools. his hut was also tidy. for a guy. After a few moments of silence, a question flares up in my mind. "Gally?" "mmh" "what do you think would be a good job for me?" he didn't stop with what he was doing. "I guess Frypan could use some help in the kitchen. He refuses to let anyone help him unless they can actually cook or clean." I look down at Bark, whose asleep on the floor next to me. Outside the hut, a banging sound starts. Gally smiles, a genuine smile.  "Speaking of Frypan... let's get some lunch." He unbuckles his tool belt and drops it next to the toolbox. He steps over Bark, still asleep, and reaches a hand towards me, waiting for me to lay mine in it. The second his hand touches mine, he pulls me up.  I lose my balance, he pulled to hard and lifted me of my feet. "ow shuck, sorry Greenie. I lift boards heavier than you..." his hands are still around my waist to make sure I wouldn't fall over. damn he's strong. The growling of his stomach breaks the silence, waking Bark up, also growling. I smile a little "Can you put me down now. please." like waking up from a trance, Gally shakes his head and let's go of me. "Right. Lunch." he walks past me, leaving me with Bark. stranger and stranger....

okay I love grilled cheese sandwiches. Chuck apparently does too, seeing how he's eyeing my last part on the plate. I glare at him, warning him with my eyes, but he ignores my looks and reaches out. Quickly, I stab his hand with a fork I wasn't using. "AAW you shuck-face, that hurts!" again, Gladers turned around to look at me. Newt is sitting at the other side of the table and hasn't said a word until now. "Chuck, quit your boody whining, it's your own fault." "yeah Chuck, it's your own bloody fault" I hear a fake version of Newt's accent behind me, right when Gally sits down next to me. Alex, one of the builders, sits down across from me, next to Chuck. jeez table is getting pretty crowded... Seeing Gally reminded me of something. "Newt? about all those job things, what about the kitchen?" he looks up at me, surprised. "I would have to ask Frypan, but I guess it's as good an idea as any other." He smiles at me, and I smile back, knowing I wasn't a ray of sunshine before. Gally clears his throat, a bit dramatic. I roll my eyes "It was Gally's idea..." Newt expression changes for a moment, but then he smiled. Really smiled. Oh oh... "Well Gally, good to know you haven't wanked all the wit out of ya." With that, wiping the smug expression of Gally's face. I try to hold back my laughter, but a small chuckle still escaped my lips, causing him to glare at me. When the laughter died, I noticed my plate. Empty. "CHUCK YOU STEALING SHANK!" Seeing him with his mouth full is enough of a confession. "Run Chuck run!" The Gladers where cheering the little boy on as he jumped up from the table and started running. I didn't waste a second, yanked one of my boots off my feet and jumped on the table, throwing the thing as hard as I could at the chuckling boy. It hit him right in the face as he looked over his shoulder, causing him to crash to the ground. gotcha. Stepping of the table calmly, I walk over to where Chuck was grunting on the floor, a little bit of extra sway in my hips.  eat your hearts out boys, this is what happens when you mess with me. I picked up my boot, turned around and walked back to the table, flipping my hair out of my face in the process. It was silent once again, but this time, I was loving it.