fair warning

Athena's POV

Time went by without me noticing. I braided for hours, while Gally sawed wooden boards, making a door for the shower. As the sun rose higher, so did the temperature. "Let's work outside, I'm suffocating in here." I grab the basket full of twine and push the door open. A breeze welcomes me. Gally stops me "just leave the door open, I'd rather you stay in here." there is a hint of worry in his eyes. "Why? it's hot and..." I saw some Gladers pass by and heard them whistle. My shirt was drenched, sticking to my skin. I close the door without saying a word and sat back down with the basket, starting a new braid. Gally puts down his tools and walks over "I'm sorry about that little. I'll show you how to wash your clothes later, so you can tie a knot and making it more... bearable." I look at his own chest, glistening in sweat. "Gally? if the door stays closed, can I at least let this shirt dry before lunch?" His eyes light up. A blush rises on his cheeks. well one cheek, the other one is badly bruised. He really took some punches. "Alright. But keep your pants on, this is a workplace." He grins. I laugh "If you keep your head out of yours, I'll be fine." his cheeks redden deeper. what if he likes me like that?  Again, working in silence. I start humming, the same tune he hummed to  get me to fall asleep. I wonder if he'll notice. 

When we hear Frypan banging a spoon against a pot, I am almost out of twine to braid. "Oh finally, I'm starving!" I jump up and run to the door. Gally clears his throat, making me stop and look at him. "What? come on Gally. Food!" He looks down at my chest. my exposed chest. "Dammit." I forgot about the shirt. Quickly, I put in on. It's not really dry yet, but is doesn't cling to me anymore. "Thanks." I get on my toes and give him a quick peck on the cheek, running through the door without waiting for him. He'll follow, he's hungry too. I shriek as I feel arms around me, lifting me up and carrying me back inside the hut. I'd only gotten as far as 15 meters. The door closes again. "Shuck it's hot in here." Gally puts me down and spins me around, making me face him. "What do you think you're doing?" I can't read emotion from his face, his voice soft, but something makes me shiver. a good kind of shiver though. "I don't know what you're talking about." He leans closer, pulling me a tighter against him. "I think you do. You kissed me. Why?" His face is so close to mine. He's so sweaty but I like the smell of him. "I... wanted to." He doesn't look angry. let's see how far I can go. Trying to intimidate me? yeah right. I press myself harder against him, knowing he can feel every curve of my body against his. "Does that bother you?" I speak soft, in his ear, barely a whisper. My hands on his biceps. Every fiber in my body wanted to press my lips against his. wait what? no. nononono I can't do that. I shouldn't do that. "Let's go eat." just as he puts me down and turns around, the door opened and the other Builders come in to return their tools. if they would've seen us...

Gally's POV

I could have kissed her. There and then, just a couple of centimeters closer and... I try to clear my mind. I can't do that, it would ruin everything. I shouldn't want her that way... "Do you want to trade?" I see her looking at me. "Sorry what?" "My ham sandwich for your tomato sandwich?" she doesn't really like meat. "uh yeah. sure." She switches the sandwiches and takes a bite. I keep silent, start eating as well. Chuck sits down across from her, Newt by her other side. I see her fidling with her boot, untying it and placing it on the table, shooting a glare at Chuck. Newt chuckles "Okay, fair warning. How's it going? Haven't seen you for hours." She had just taken a bite, so gives him a thumbs up and keep chewing. "She the fastest I've seen in a while now. we're almost out of twine." and she kissed me on the cheek. "Aw" her elbow hits my ribs. "It's fine Newt, I just don't like the heat." he grins "we could go for a swim, cool off a bit." yeah right.  Before she could say anything, I turn to Newt and his stupid smirk "How's the irrigation system?". He glares at me, annoyed. "It's brilliant. Really helping us out. Thank you, Athena." She smiles at him and shrugs. "Glad to help. With my Greenie brains." she looks at her plate, a quarter sandwich left. judging by the look of it, Chuck really wanted it, but was scared of the boot on the table. and her aim. She takes her boot and slides the plate across the table towards Chuck, who smiles and stuffs it in his mouth. I lean closer as she ties her laces. "You're too good for this place." She smirks, standing up from the table "Don't worry Gal, I know." Gal? 

Athena's POV

When Newt proposed to go swimming again, I was tempted. But I saw Gally's arm tense up for a couple of seconds. Did Newt try to kiss you? I remember the look on his face when he saw us in the pond. I didn't think anything of it, two friends swimming on a hot day... I guess it was to good to be true. "Where are you going?" I look back at Gally, still sitting at the table. "The stream, wash my hands. Freshen up a bit." He get up and takes the empty plates with him. "Lead the way." Oh he's coming with? We walk over to the kitchen, leaving the dirty dishes on the counter. The stream isn't far behind the kitchen building, but it is a bit more isolated. Away from all the prying eyes. I fold the hem of my pants 'till above my knee, making sure I could step into the water without soaking my clothes. Gally does the same, stepping into the cold water next to me, looking for a rock to sit on. There a large boulder on the other bank of the stream. "You don't need to babysit me Gally. I can handle Newt. He's done nothing wrong so far." Except the time he tried to kiss me. He doesn't smile, or smirk or anything. Just a blank expression. "I'm a Glader, like all of you, I don't need..." "No you're not. You're nothing like us." auwcht, harsh much? But he isn't done talking. I try not to show that I'm hurt. "You're... kind. stubborn. incredibly witty, which annoys me without end" he laughs sofly and looks at me, pushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "You're beautiful. You're nothing like us Athena. I'm not babysitting you" I look at him confused. "You are. You have to because Alby said I 'was not to be left unattended for a second'." He looks surprised, probably because he thought I didn't hear the conversation they had in the Med-Jack hut. I sigh, leaning against him and laying my head down against his shoulder. "I know what Newt and Alby heard, in the Homestead. I hear what the boys whisper behind my back. the whistles, the stares... I know what some of them think. I know why you get angry and fight them." Only when he wipes away the tear, I noticed they were running down my cheeks. "Come here little." He pulls me in his lap, arms around me. "I promised I wasn't going to let anything happen to you. Same for the other Builders, they will keep an eye on you when I can't." I look up, meeting his eyes. "But that will be the exception. When things calm down. which they will, you'll see." He kisses my forehead, letting the moment last. Thunder starts rumbling somewhere for away. Gally notices my body tense up. "About time we had some change of weather. Looks like we'll have a thunderstorm soon." He smiles. who likes thunderstorms?  "You're weird Gally." he pretends to be hurt for a moment, then smiles "But you like it, don't you?" Oh boy you have no idea.