your face

Athena's POV

"Why do you call me little Greenie." I let my fingers roam in circles and random figures over his chest and stomach. The muscles move under his skin as he speaks. "You're little. and a Greenie. I don't really have an other explanation for that." He's doing the same on my leg and hip. His turn to ask a question. "When I found you with Newt in the pond, was he... was he about to kiss you?" he did see that. "I don't know, I'm not sure. he's acting... weird. Not like Minho, but it's...something." I saw his fist clench for a second, then his arm relaxed again. "Does that bother you?" "Isn't it my turn to ask a question?" "It was, yes. Answered. Does it bother you?" dammit, well played. "Sometimes it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, but it's way less compared to most of the others." we'll keep you warm after the fire had gone out. I try to push away the memories. I listen to his heart beating. "Did you mean what you said, before?" he kept quit, thinking. "I did. and I still do. You're safe with me. And I know I have a temper and sometimes yell at you, but I... okay fine, often." I gave him a glare when he said 'sometimes'. "But I'm just trying to keep you safe. And if that means arguing about wearing a shirt in this chucking heat, then so be it." I let my hand rest on his chest, next to my face. "You're still a shank." he laughs. "yeah, you're right. I am. and so are you, just smaller. shorter, tinier. You, Athena, are my mini Shank." he grins at me, ear to ear, his green eyes shining. It's must be the first time I've heard him say my name. And it makes my heart beat way too fast. "I like you better when you're asleep." I smile at him. "Hear hear. what a coincidence. I do too." 

I must have dozed off again, because the banging on the door woke me, startled. The bed empty. Grunts and muffled sounds come from outside. I heard Gally curse and then the banging stopped. Someone moaned in pain. A thud. they're fighting. right outside the door. I jump out of the bed, and yank the door open. Seeing Gally standing there, panting, with his fists clenched so hard, the knuckles white. "Gally?" he doesn't turn around. "Get back inside Greenie." he's not looking at me. I lay my hand on his back, he tensed up. "I'm serious. Get back inside. And close the door." I look past him, a couple of Gladers are laying on the ground, struggling to get up. "What... is going on? They're hurt!" I start to go around Gally, to see if I could help them, get the Med-Jacks or something. His hands grips my arm, pulling me back against his chest. "No, don't. They... don't deserve help." I still hadn't seen his face. He's bleeding. A wave of panic washes over me. His lip is swollen, his face covered in blood, coming from a cut above one of his eyebrows, his cheekbone already turning a deep purple color. "Gally... you look like klunk." I brush over the bruises, careful, trying not to hurt him. He just looks down at me. "Yeah well, so do you." I'm gonna kill him after the Med-Jacks fix him up. "Shank. Come on, let's get it looked at." He hesitates, looking down at my legs. My bare legs.  I shrug, probably going to regret it later. "don't care. I'll get dressed later. For Kitchen duty."  If Fry will let me. Gally just sighs and let's me drag him towards the Med-Jacks, leaving the boys on the ground behind. I still don't know what happened...

Newt's POV

Where are they?? I look around the hut, the door was wide open, blood on the sand outside. "ALBY!" I run to him, he's standing in front of the kitchen building. "I can't find them, there's blood, her boots and pants are still inside but..." he stops my rambling "Med-Jacks are fixing up Gally, there was a fight. That's all I know, I was on my way there now." I turn on my heals and jog beside Alby to the open door of the hut. what if she's hurt? did he hurt her? I'll kill him, to the Maze with the rules... Walking in behind Alby, I see her sitting on one of the beds, seemingly fine. "Athena! are you okay?" I fall on my knees in front of her. Clint bandaging her finger. The cut from yesterday. "I'm fine Newt. Don't worry, Gally..." she looks over at the other side of the room, where Jeff was cleaning a cut on Gally's head. that look... "He took them out. Five of them. They wanted to wake me up..." I look at Alby. They wanted to do a lot more than just wake her up and everyone in the room seemed to know it. He turns to Gally and speaks to him with a soft voice. probably explaining what we heard. Making sure she doesn't hear it. "Uhm Newt? can I ask you something?" I look at her angelic face. "Sure Greenie. Anything." she shifts, trying to hide as much of her legs as possible. "I kinda left my pants and boots in the hut... Could you maybe..." I smile. I would do anything for her. "I'll get them." I walk out of the hut, but look back for a moment. Her blonde curls looked messy, but still pretty. almost wild, an sort of beauty that could never be tamed. The red shirt from Gally fell loosely over her shoulders, exposing a hint of her collarbones. And her legs, toned but not like his own. elegant. just like in the pond, she's stunning. I walk out and start jogging, ignoring the slight pain shooting up from my left ankle. 

Gally's POV

"Could you hurry up, we're missing breakfast." Jeff glared at me, pressing the cloth with rubbing alcohol against the cut. Aw that stings! I see Athena chuckle from her place on the bed opposite of the one I'm sitting on. "Oh you think this is funny? How's your finger?" her smiled faded a little. yeah that's what I though, she couldn't stand the pricking from the disinfectant either. "It's alright. I'm just glad I can do something today." The bruises around her neck are starting to fade, almost gone around the edges. you can really see the imprint is made by hands... "Gally? what really happened back there?" Her eyes meet mine. Shucking hell, she's to smart for her own good. "They were sneaking around the hut. I told them to leave, they refused." I smirk "It's not my first fight little and I rarely loose." I can see a grin appearing on her lips. "Oh well that would explain it." "Explain what?" Newt walks in, holding clothes and her comb in his hands, boots dangling over his arm. I look at Athena, her grin only widens. "Your face." the little shank, being witty. I can't help but smile at the remark. Any other Glader I would've stumped in the stomach for saying something like that. Her snicker cheers up the room, making Newt smile as well. "Laughing at your own jokes now, are ya? Here, get dressed. I'll save you a spot at the table." he turns around, about to leave when I see her standing up. "Newt wait. Could you make that two spots? I kinda own this shank..." She gestures in my direction. "Don't call me a shank, shank." Something changed in Newt expression, as if he was hurt by her question. "Yeah sure. No problem Greenie." He loves her. Anger flared up in me, for no apparent reason. 

Walking over to the dining area, she is trying to get the comb through her hair, but her finger was making it extra difficult. I sighs. can't believe I'm going to say this, again. "Give me the comb, I'll do it." We sit down at the table, Newt on his way with three plates. She sits with her back towards me, giving me access to the curls cascading over her shoulders. I try my best not to pull at her hair to much, but the little 'aw' and hisses make it clear that I'm not very good at this. Newt sees it too. "Let me try, I don't have Builder Hands." I glare at him. she didn't mind my Builder hands this morning. I see her looking over her shoulders, nodding. I give Newt the comb and switch places. At least I can eat now. "So Gally... I heard you punched some teeth out of Kevin and his buddy's." Thomas elbows Chuck, to shut him up. whoa where to all these smart Runners keep coming from. Found a brain in the Maze? "I did." I eat my eggs and bread in silence, glancing at Newt skillfully untangling the knots in Athena's hair. Chuck sees it too. "All those weeks untangling grape vines seem to pay off, I thought she was going to have to cut it all off." "She's not cutting it off!" I look at Newt, we said the exact same thing in the exact same time. Athena laugh, "You heard it Chuckie. I'm not cutting my hair. Orders from the Keepers." Still chuckling, I see the purple ribbon around her wrist. As Newt lays the comb down, she takes all her hair over one shoulder and starts braiding it without even looking, her bandaged finger held straight. neatly, without any hair sticking out. An idea popped into my head. "Ey Greenie, we need someone to braid twines into rope. Think you can do that without bleeding on my shirt again?" She sticks her tongue out at me. Silly, but cute. "As I said before, I don't promise anything." I smirk. this way, she'll be in the Builders hut. Where I can keep an eye on her, the entire time. I get up before Newt can protest and lift her to her feet. "No time like the present, let's get to working."