join us

Athena's POV

"Don't say a word." Gally whispers in my ear, his warm breath tickles my cheek. Oh my. "What the chuck are you shanks doing here? bugger off!" Gally places his hands on his hips, no doubt giving them serious alpha male vibes. One of the Gladers looks past him, at me. "Come on Gally, we just want to hear her voice. Have a bit of a laugh, see what happens. There's no harm in that." "Yeah Gally, we all share, maybe you should share her too." Some of them chuckle. The one standing closest to me is looking at me like he's hungry and I'm a snack, undressing me with his eyes, shamelessly. This is not about singing at all.  I step closer towards Gally and reach for his hand. He looks at me when he feels my hand in his. please Gally, I'm terrified. please. He must see it in my eyes, in the expression on my face. But his own expression didn't flinch, even when he squeezes my hand softly. "I'm going to count to 5. The Shank still here at the count of 5 spends the night in the Pit. with a broken nose." nobody moved. I can't breathe. "1" Gally glares at each and every boy standing between us and the hut. "2" I see some of them taking a step back, fear in there eyes. "3" he almost growls the number, his other hand clenching into a fist. "Athena please, join us. I promise we'll make it worth your while." "yeah. And we'll keep you warm after the fire goes out." I can hear some of them snicker. "4" I let go of Gally's hand, hugging myself. he's going to need both of his hands if this get's ugly. "What is going on here? Get moving, you've got no business here!" I turn around and see Alby walking in our direction. Most of the boys run off at the sight of their leader, but three of them hesitate. Gally steps forward, "5!". They run like the devil is chasing them, not once looking back. I feel my knees shaking, not able to hold my weight. "Whoa, come here little Greenie, I got you. Thanks Alby. Could have gone either way with those klunk for brains shanks." I don't know what Alby responded. Gally leads me into the hut, setting me down on the bed. Barricading the door, double checking. I only notice the tears when one falls on my hand. my hands are trembling. Vision blurry from the tears, I look up at Gally. He sits down on the floor in front of me, taking both of my hands into his, speaking softly. "You are safe here. I'll keep you safe. They can't get to you here, nowhere when I around. I can take them, I will take them all on if I need to. Don't cry, please. I promise nothing bad is ever going to happen to you ever again, not if I can help it." My thoughts are all over the place. they wanted me to go with them. sing. sleep with them. I'm just a toy to them, something to have. They want to share me... I look at Gally, his face is soft, he's really worried about me. "Don't leave me, please." my voice breaks. I'm shaking all over. "Never. Come here." 

I can't sleep. I feel his breath on my forehead, calm and steady. His arms are locked around me, one hand on my shoulder, the other on my lower back. I keep thinking that I hear someone outside of the hut. "Try to relax, get some sleep." I sigh, I'm keeping him awake as well. "I just keep hearing things. outside... freaks me out. I'm..." "scared?" I don't respond. He wiggles a bit, turning me around so that my back is pressed against his chest, his knees bend, a perfect fit in mine. My head on his arm, his chin above the top of my head. "Close your eyes." I close my eyes and focus on the way he smells. a bit musky, wood and... lemons. Must be from his specials brew for the Bonfire. He starts to hum a melody I don't recognize. Just humming, nothing more. I can feel the sound vibrate in his chest. after that, it didn't take long for me to fall asleep.

Newt's POV

this is the fifth cold shower this week. since she came up in the Box. I sigh, turning the water off. It's no use, I can't get her out of my mind. Seeing her walk in the Homestead, holding Gally's hand... I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't want to believe my own eyes. Are she and Gally a thing?  It's clear that he's fallen hard for her. as have I. what a bloody mess. I get dressed, angry at the world. "I'm telling you, Gally can't hide her forever. She was send up here for a reason. and by the looks of her, it's not singing." another voice snickers "I wouldn't mind making her sing and scream my name." more laughter. they really talking about Athena like this. I stay silent in the bathroom, listening in on the conversation taking place in the hallway. "How are you going to do that? nicely asking Gally to skoot over in his bed?" "Shuck you, shank. Of course not. I'd need to get her alone. Somewhere quite..." "like?" "anywhere when you gag that pretty little mouth of hers." They move along the hallway, probably to get breakfast. they're going to try to take advantage of her. force themselves on her... Gally was right. She can never have her own bathroom.Or hut, for that matter.  I walk over to Alby's room. "Alby you awake?" I open his door without knocking, hitting something. "Newt, you klunkface!" he was listening at his door. "I guess you heard the whole thing then?" His expression is stoic, I can't read any emotion of it. "Yeah I did. And I'm not having it. This need to be fixed, today." 

Athena's POV

I wake up to Gally rubbing circles on my back and hip. "Morning." his voice still sleepy, a bit hoarse. "mmm" I open my eyes a bit and nestle myself closer to his side. His chest rises and falls steadily. His eyes are closed. A light stubble showing on his cheeks and chin. I don't think about it when I run my fingertips over it. I've never felt anything like that before... or I don't remember.  He stopped breathing, slowly opening his eyes. "I.. sorry" I lay my head down again, hiding my face against his neck. "uhm no it's fine. I don't mind..." I look up again, my cheeks burning. "really?" he closes his eyes again. "yeah... seems fair, I've been playing with your hair for the past half hour." I prob myself up on my elbow. "you've been awake for half an hour?" he looks at me and smiles "I didn't want to wake you." he let me sleep, and only played with my hair. I see him frowning at me "Did I do something wrong? I thought you might wanted to sleep for as long as you could." true that. "You were right. I did. I kinda still do. but..." what is wrong with me for even thinking of asking, let alone actually asking. " Do you mind if I take my pants off? I actually don't like sleeping with them on.." I feel him tense up a bit. "or not, I can keep them on, it's not a big deal." he sits up. "I don't mind. Take the sweater off as well, I got a feeling today is going to be even hotter than yesterday." he looks at me, not moving. "I'll take my shirt off, and you leave my shirt on. deal?" he smirks a bit. what is this tickling feeling in my stomach? I just unbuckle the belt and lift my hips, taking off my pants underneath the blankets. But the sweater isn't easy. I struggle getting the damn thing over my head, and the shirt is riding up with it. "wait let me help you with that." I stop moving as I feel his hands touch my bare back for a moment. Gently, he pull at the sleeves, taking the sweater off. I like the feeling of his hands on my skin. We both just lay back down in the same position as before. Silence filled the room. It's still dark outside. I trust him. I really do.