Chapter 23

When Mikayla finally found the waterfall, she had to wade through the river it poured into in order to go right past it like Brigid had told her told. As she got out, she kind of wished she had waited until the next morning. At least then she wouldn't be freezing now. She walked straight towards the rock wall and stretched both hands out, feeling both silly and confused.

"Brigid sent me," she said hesitantly. She waited in silence for a few moments and nothing happened. She decided maybe she hadn't said it loud enough. "Brigid sen-" suddenly she was cut off as part of the rock wall started to slide away, giving off a loud rumbling noise. It only made an opening about a foot wide and a dim light shone out.

 "Hurry up," came a somewhat annoyed sounding voice from inside. Mikayla had turn somewhat sideways in order to get in. As soon as she stepped inside the rock wall closed behind her. "And turn that off!" the voice said.

 "Sorry," Mikayla said, realizing she still had her flashlight on. She quickly turned it off. "Follow me," the voice said tersely.

 "Wait, where are you?" she looked around confused.

 "I'm right in front of you," the voice huffed.

As Mikayla's eyes adjusted to her surroundings, she finally realized that the dim lighting was coming from a fairy, only about an inch tall. "Oh!"

"Finally! Now hurry up! My queen only asked me to come bring you to her. I do have other things I'd rather be doing right now!" And off the fairy flew. Mikayla tried to keep up, but the fairy kept flying to fast. It kept having to come back every time Mikayla fell too far behind. "Ugh, you humans are always so slow," it groaned.

 "Sorry," Mikayla said getting kind of annoyed by the fairies bad attitude. Eventually they reached a cavern the split off into too different areas, both emitting light.

"Go in this one to see the queen," the fairy said floating in front of the opening on the right. Mikayla noticed it shone brighter than the one to the left. "I'm going back to my place, so if you somehow managed get lost, it's not my fault," and with that the fairy flew into the opening on the left.

 "What a cheerful little thing,"

Mikayla said sarcastically. "I heard that!"

 Mikayla sighed and walked into opening on the right, now sure exactly how a fairy queen was going to be able to give her answers about Lilly and Marrah.