Chapter 20

Brady and Lilly didn't have to go far before finding his brothers. They had both been hiding by the stairs listening into the entire conversation.

"So... was that your sister?" Boz started.

"Not exactly. I mean we lived together after her parents took me in, but we aren't blood related."

"Oh." There was an uncomfortable silence. "Well she seemed... nice."

"Nice?" Boomer said. "Bro, didn't you just hear all those things she said about you?"

"Yes, but I was trying to avoid that part."

"Why?"

"Because I didn't want to accidently hurt Lilly's feelings by saying what a nasty, mean person her kind of sister is. No offense Lilly."

"No it's okay Boz. I mean, I knew she wasn't the nicest person, but I didn't realize how bad she was until know. I thought that despite your past growing up with apes, she would give you a chance, even if it was just because you're royalty."

"Hey, don't be to hard on yourself," Brady insisted. "It's not your fault she's like that. Besides, I spent plenty of time around her and I had no clue she was like that."

"That's because she didn't act like that around you. She has a huge crush on you."

Brady looked shocked. "What?"

Lilly shook her head. "Oh, Brady. I honestly don't blame you though for not noticing though. She did a good job of hiding it from you, even if it was obvious to everyone else back on Silvain. She was all ways giving you these looks when you weren't paying attention. And she was always nicer to other people when you were around. Though you couldn't have known that, since you didn't know what she was like when you weren't around. Honestly, she probably would have made a move on you a long time ago if we weren't already dating when you guys met. Especially if she had known you were a king."

"Still, I should have at least had some idea. I'm not as clueless as I used to be."

"I know, but unlike her I would love you no matter how smart or dumb you were. I know Marrah too well. She likes her guys to be smart, but dumber than her. That way she can carry on a conversation with them, but still be smart enough to manipulate them how she wants."

"That's terrible!"

"Yeah, but that's how she is.

"No offense, but how could you stand her?" Boomer asked.

"Well, I don't remember my real family, so Marrah and her parents are the only family I have."

"Not anymore," Brady said wrapping an arm around her.

"Yeah," said Boz. "You're part of our family now."

"That's right," Boomer chimed in. "Any girlfriend of Brady, is a sister of ours." Everyone looked at him. "Wait, then you'd be Brady's sister too... you know what, forget I said anything."

Lilly smiled at all of them, leaning into Brady. Finally. A family who really cared about her.