Chapter 11

Mikayla woke up early the next morning to do her early morning exercises. About half an hour later, there was a knock at the door. She opened the door to see Brigid's smiling face.

"Good morning dearie. The rest of the guest are gathering in the dining room for breakfast if you want to join us."

"Thanks, but I think I'll just grab a piece of fruit and get going. I have a lot of, uh, sightseeing to do."

She looked a little disappointed, but soon was smiling again. "Alright dearie, but you know ho to find us if you change your mind. Oh, and I think I remembered how I recognized your name. You're the one Brady was trying to impress aren't you," she said still smiling.

Mikayla looked down embarrassed, then back to Brigid's innocent smiling face. "Yeah, I guess I am," she said quietly.

"Well I just want to let you know that I don't hold anything against you." Mikayla looked confused. "Oh, didn't you know? You broke that poor boy's heart. Most of us consider him one of us now, so most folks ill probably hold that against you. But the way I see it, if you hadn't, he would never have come here and they wouldn't be together now. And they do make such the cutest couple." She turned to leave, but turned back around. "Oh, and one more thing. I wouldn't lie to me again if I were you."

"What do you mean," Mikayla asked innocently.

"You know what I mean. You aren't from Kippi Kippi. You're from Kinkow just like Brady. I'm sure you just were afraid I wouldn't treat you right because of our island's and your island's past, but you don't need to worry about that. Most of the folks around here got over that a long time ago. If you do have a problem with anyone though, just let me know. I'll sort in them out. I may not look it, but I'm  tough old bird." She smiled and left Mikayla alone.

"Well then."

Mikayla waited a few minutes before leaving her room. Despite Brigid's assurances, he wanted to avoid her if she could. She didn't trust anyone who was always that cheerful. She had even sounded happy when she said she'd 'sort in out' anyone who gave her a hard time.

She grabbed a few of her knives, making sure to hid them under her clothes before sneaking downstairs. She didn't see Brigid and figured she must be in the dining room. She decided to skip breakfast in order to further avoid her. She sprinted out the door and ran into something hard. She fell down hitting her head on a lose brick and blacked out.