Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Dropping By

Adan

I set my glass of blood on the table. "Another." And then, a line cracked through the glass. The strength I used was an ounce too much.

The young female bartender scurried over and swiped the glass away swiftly. "Yes Lord." Her footsteps were quick and filled with haste. I could be quite scary when mad--especially when I was almost drunk on blood at the same time.

Yes, demons could get drunk on blood, though my tolerance was higher than everybody else. I needed a lot of it to get me going. Even now after countless glasses, the warmth in my ears were only beginning to set in.

My bartender was taking too long to return. What took her so long? I let out a sound of annoyance and tapped my fingers on the bar top. Today was definitely not the right day to get me annoyed.

The female stumbled over with an anxious face. "I'm sorry My Lord. We're..." She bit her lip and looked at the crowd behind me, trying to avert my eyes.

"Out with it."

"We're out of blood sir."

It was easy to tell from her face that she was lying. She blinked too many times. Plus, her pulse quickened--the lying pulse. People didn't fool me so easily--I did have millenniums of experience after all.

I scoffed. "Well, go get more somewhere else."

Her heart skipped a few beats. Fear was practically crawling out of her skin. "But My Lord, our supplies aren't coming until next Tuesday." The girl's face was a ghostly white.

Another lie. I guessed that she was a young, not to mention idiotic, vampire. Even fifty year old vampires knew how to tell classier lies. "You're saying that they're going to close this bar down until next Tuesday?"

"Um... No. Boss said that we're just going to serve other drinks for now," she said, her voice lowered and weak.

I gave her hair a second glance. She was a redhead. I fully expected her to be blonde. The only reason why creatures came to this bar was the blood. I knew her boss, and he wasn't so stupid.

I glared at her, then slammed my hand onto the table. "TELL ME THE TRUTH!" The impudence of this little dumbass. I've killed for much less. She lied to me. Twice.

She froze into place. I continued glaring at her. Then, she just crumpled and fell to the ground. "Forgive me My Lord!" I could hear her sobbing over the booming music--not because she sobbed that loudly; I just had good ears.

Word vomit was now spilling out of her mouth. "I didn't mean to Lord, but boss asked me to stop you from drinking somehow, he said that you were drinking too much, and that our supplies weren't going to last and and... I'm sorry My Lord, please forgive me. I'll... I'll... "

They always got like this--all panicky and trying to explain themselves before they die. I wasn't going to kill her though. It wasn't her fault but that old chap's. And I wasn't going to kill that old chap because I actually liked him.

But I still wanted to punish her for being so dumb.

"Stand," I said.  

"Yes My Lord." She clamored to her feet quickly, afraid that I would chop off her head before she could say another word. When she got up, her posture was straight like a plank of wood. "I'll do anything My Lord."

"Shut up." My fist met her jaw, and she flew against the shelf of alcohol that was behind her--it was for decorative purposes, barely anybody wanted the alcohol here. The sound of glass breaking reverberated through the air and the strong odor of alcohol mixed with vampire blood permeated the room.