Chapter 8

Chapter 8: The Meeting 

I killed someone. I mouthed the words, testing them with my lips. The room was quiet. Still.  I could hear the whirring of the fan; that was all I could hear, and the only thing I wanted to hear. 

I killed someone

Adan and Hollie were outside. I asked them to leave. I needed the silence. 

My eyes were dazed at the back of my two blood-stained hands. But all I could see was his dead gaze staring back at me, and his red-painted face filled with hate, remorse and fear. "I killed someone," I said. My mind paused as I felt the words ring in the air. There were tears welling in my eyes. Though, they weren't shed. I had no right to let them be shed. 

My memory was a blur haze; scattered visions flashing spontaneously. A gaping window, then crowded streets, and then the hard panting of my breath. The wind was blowing fast on my face, a euphoric kind of fast. The man was walking next to a little girl; blonde-haired, wide-eyed, face as fresh as a flower. I remembered their laughter. Happy sweet giggles from the little one. Next thing I could think of was the strong undying thirst gnawing at my throat; then Adan's voice, before the sight of the still body of a dead man lying in a puddle of red. 

That man had a family, people he loved, a father—just like the one that raised me. 

"I brought you some water," a worried voice said. When had Hollie entered? I didn't hear the clicking of the door. "I'm hoping that it'd help." 

"The man had a daughter, if he were a thug then maybe-- " I shook my head. "No it'd be the same." 

Hollie sat in the bed and placed her hands on my shoulder. "Look at me Lyn," she was frowning, her expression sad. "You're taking this too hard on yourself; this kind thing; let it go. If you work yourself down with every single kill like this, you're not going to live very long." She tried to show me a reassuring smile. 

"You're talking as if it's normal." 

"It is." 

Her response was sickening. 

I stood up and glared at her. 

"HE'S DEAD. He's never coming back. And his daughter isn't going to see him ever again. He probably had a wife, parents, friends, all sorts of people that loved him too. How do you think they're feeling right now? I took him away from them! ME. It's normal? Tell that to their faces." I shouted at Hollie, perhaps even spitted at her. She didn't try to hold me down, or shout back at me. She simply looked down solemnly, nodding at my words. 

"I'm a monster now, a real one," I whispered. There was silence; the words sank in slowly. 

"You are a demon," Hollie said as she took in a deep breath. "This is your world now, accept it." 

"I don't want to. Why did you even make me one in the first place?" 

She bit her lip and frowned. "To protect you. Because we didn't want you to die." 

"Protect?" 

"Other people are going to hunt you down now, because the first part of the prophecy is coming true," she sighed. "Adan and I aren't going to be there all the time to defend you; if you don't get strong enough, you'll die." 

There were more monsters coming after me? 

"What is this prophecy anyway?" I said, demanding an answer. "It's ruining everything." 

"Now's not the time Lyn," she rubbed her forehead and made her way towards the door. 

"This prophecy is killing me! And I don't have the right to know?" I yelled. Since when did I become this angry at everything?