Chapter 23

Chapter 23: Messages

Adan

"My lord, you need to rest."

Adriana had been griping at me to sleep every few hours. But how could I? Evelyn was missing and with Kaine. Kaine. My own spawn. I never would have created him those years ago if I had known this would happen.

She might be dead by now. Kaine was capable of anything. But he wouldn't kill her. He was the type of person that would drag out someone's suffering—until they begged him to let them die.

It annoyed me that he was an expert at spells and disguise too. Evelyn should be found by now.

We had searched every corner of the earth. I hadn't rested in fifteen days. Other things were more important than sleep. Much more important.  

"Lord, please," Adriana said.

It was a simple plea, but it made me really mad. "WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT UP ABOUT THE SLEEPING?" Adriana cowered when I turned around. I sighed. "Sorry, I didn't mean to shout. It's just... you know."

She bowed, caution evident in her watery eyes. "I apologize for my actions my lord." She stepped away and shut the door behind her.

Where in the world was Jason? Had he found her yet? I haven't heard from him since the last time we met at Evelyn's house. Perhaps he found her and kept it a secret from me. The thought wasn't pleasant but it was still better than her being with Kaine. Jason was much less likely to hurt her. Although, the accuracy of that sentence could be contested. Being too sure of anything raised a person's vulnerability.

Evelyn wasn't dead. Impossible. I'd know if she were.

I sat down on my bed and rested my palms on my forehead. She had to be hidden by a spell, a particular one. But we needed to find specifically which spell was casted, and where. It might be five years before I see her again—and only in the best case scenario. Kaine might kill her by then.

And the torture Kaine could inflict seemed unimaginable.

A soft knock on the door forced me to pause my mental struggle.

"What is it?" I said, irritated.

Adriana carefully opened the door and peeked in. "It is lord Hearth, my lord. He wishes to see you."

The devil had finally arrived. Perhaps he had a clue, or a lead. Although, I didn't expect him to be so virtuous. He never worked liked to work with me, and with a case as personal as this, the only explanation I could conclude for his visit was that he needed something from me. Either that, or a mishap occurred and angered him.

I waved my hand lazily at Adriana. "Tell him that he can come meet me."

She nodded. "Yes my lord."

I didn't have to wait long to find Jason sitting on my small couch.

He looked ready to kill. "Hello."

"Hello," I replied.

"You're hiding something."

My second guess was right. Something occurred to piss him off.

"And what do you think I'm hiding from you?" I asked.

"My men had been keeping an eye out for the both of you. Hollie is missing too. She left Angie behind."

Same old Jason. Always thinking I had something up my sleeve. I didn't have time to deal with his nonsense. "Hollie is searching for Evelyn too, she could be anywhere."