Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Unpleasant Surprise

“You seem to be popular with the girls,” I said to Jason. He was waiting for me in front of the school gate. Just a minute ago a blondish girl passed him a piece of paper and flashed a ‘call me’ gesture to him. I didn’t know how we became best buddies in a matter of a day; somehow we just clicked. Whatever was between us warranted him to wait for me to arrive at school in the morning.

Jason winked at me. “I only wish to be popular with you.” A cocky grin plastered his face.

My heart fluttered at his comment. He was such a flirt. “Sure,” I said, playfully pushing him away from me. “We have to go to class.”

Jason bowed. “After you my Lady.”

I smiled. “Thank you.” He offered his hand to me and I gladly took it. He led me into the school. I could feel the glares of other girls, but I chose to ignore it.

Jason and I stepped into the crowded hallway. It was the first time in many years where I entered with school with someone else. The thought comforted me slightly. I looked up at Jason’s beautiful chiselled face. Why is he choosing to be close to me instead of all the other girls?

Both of our lockers were right next to each other. I found it an odd coincidence. But then again, Jason had an overwhelming number of coincidences with me. “I’ve always wondered...” I said.

He turned to me. “Wondered what?”

“Why do we have every single one of our classes together? And your seat is always right behind mine.”

Jason shrugged. “Beats me.”

I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Fate?” he said, smirking.

I opened my mouth to reply but Miss Queen Bee, Kayla, interjected me. “Hey Jason,” she said. Kayla wrapped her arms possessively around him and grinned. She’d barely even talked to him. Nobody gave her the right to be this familiar around my guy. Wait did I just think that he was mine?

Kayla seemed perfectly fine, and any memory of what happened yesterday didn’t seem to affect her at all. I wanted to say something spiteful to her, but feeling bad about yesterday stopped me from doing so.

“So what do you say we ditch this loser here?” she said, giggling in front of Jason. I wanted to kill her for being so touchy with him. He’s not yours Jane.

Jason placed his finger on her chin and tilted her head up. “Well,” he said. Kayla looked hopeful. “I don’t know what your definition of loser is, but you should look in the mirror sweetie.” He winked at her and released himself from her arms. He smiled at me. “Aren’t we late for class Jane?”

“Um, yeah,” I said, trying to hide my smirk. Not often did Kayla get a taste of her own medicine. Jason put his arm around my shoulder and walked away with me. I glanced back at the Queen Bee, only to see her flabbergasted and enraged.

“What did you do to her?” I asked.

“Do what?” Jason replied.

“I don’t know, but Kayla looks normal. She’s just as bossy as ever.”

He released me from his grip when we entered the classroom. “Nothing wrong with that.

“You saw her yesterday. The fire got her pretty bad; she should be in the hospital.” I blushed, and then looked down. “Not that I want her to be in the hospital.”

We sat in our seats. The first lesson was Biology. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Jason said without looking at me. He reached for his backpack and took out his notes and pencil case. I guess he remembered to bring it today.