Chapter 28: Going Home

It looked like the right decision at that time. But now that she has time to think it doesn't. Now she realizes that what she did was cowardly and threatens her marriage. The last thought made her heart skip a beat or two.

"What?" Mal's voice cuts her thoughts.

"I'm worried." Regina says rubbing her belly.

They sit in the garden, next to the apple tree that was planted when Regina was born. It's strangely soothing for the former Queen.

"About Emma and Reina?"

"More about Emma." Regina swallows.

The blonde nods. "She is far weaker than your sister."

"No." Regina laughs at how simple Mal's thoughts are and how little she knows Emma Swan. "She might run." It is a simple but she knows it's going to hurt the most.

"From the temptation?"

"Of course. She is trapped inside the mansion... inside our bedroom with the woman she feels strong pull towards. That is cage." After a beat she continues. "The worst part is that I left her there."

This time it's almost impossible to swallows. Because it hurts far too much. This Truest Love thing is too demanding and highlighting every feeling. Regina knows that Emma is in so much trouble because of it and muses that her wife is strong but not all powerful. She has weaknesses as everyone else does too.

"I doubt it."

"You don't know her like I do." Regina hisses back but regrets it. Maleficent isn't the one to blame. She is. She had abandoned her love because she is scared... as shit, as Emma would say.

"I have to come back." She says after a while hoping that it's not too late.

"Are you sure it's wise?"

"No. But I think it's the right thing to do."

"Ha." Mal chuckles. "The right thing was to stay next to your wife. Not run like some coward. For fucks sake, you have Truest Love to protect you."

"Yes. I realized my mistake." Regina rubs her temples. "I'm going home." She states and gets up determined to reunite with her wife.

This time when Reina wakes up there is no dream. She is more than grateful for it and feels relaxed.

Her eyes search for Emma but she is not in the bed. Scanning the room she finds it empty and pushes the covers away so she can get up.

Emma is already in the kitchen when Reina walks in. She senses the other coming but continues to make toasts. She cuts the ham and puts it on the bread when Reina is breath away from her. Her whole body turns on its own accord.

"Hey." She greets with a smile.

"Did you sleep well?" Reina asks and puts a mug under the coffee machine.

"Kinda." The other woman shrugs. "I'm still worried about Regina."

"I think it's completely normal. I mean... You are her Truest Love and that means you are bonded for life. Your souls are made for each other." Saying those things now feels a lot easier now. Reina notices with relief.

A huge chunk of air leaves Emma's lungs. "It is heavy, Reina."

"I suppose. But it is the way things are and no one can change them."

"I know but..." Emma puts the plates on the table and sits down. She waits a beat then two for Reina to sit next to her. "I feel like I won't be enough to be the half of Truest Love. I've never been enough. There was always something missing in me and I got tossed from home to home."