CHAPTER 14 : Surprise

Regina had left to go to Snow's new house and help her with decoration and food over five hours ago. She dressed casually, not wanting to ruin her dress for the party, which she took in a bag to put on later when everything is ready. My wife didn't show it to me. "It is a surprise," she said. So that means it's a new one that will make my magic run all over the place… On our kid's birthday.

I'm dressed in a black suit with a white shirt and black tie. It is the one thing from my own closet that Ican wear with the budge in my pants, and it doesn't show much. If it's calm. Which is going to be a problem coz of Regina.

Iknock on Henry's door to see if he is ready.

"Hey, kid, can I come in?"

"Sure, Ma. What's up?" He is buttoning his shirt.

Green shirt with simple blue jeans is his choice of attire. It's actually cute on him. I can't believe my boy turns 16today.

"It's almost time for us to go and...uh...I wanted to see if you are okay after...um...what you saw." Itake hesitant steps further in his room.

"Well, I'm already scarred for life, so..." We both chuckle.

"You okay with what you saw?" I don't know why I am asking him again. I just want to be sure I guess. I'm his best friend and I don't want to lose that because of one incident.

"Not okay okay but...um...Iguess it makes sense. I mean you are each other's True Loves. It is magic and connects with Mom's magic and gives you what you can't have without it -achild."

"Yeah..." I agree and smile at our kid's cleverness.

"So is it better to have penis or not?" He asks me out of the blue.

My eyes wide open and my eyebrow shot up. Our conversations are very open, but this... Seeing that he is waiting for my answer and reminding myself that our son is sixteen, I respond with the best of my abilities.

"Um...I don't know if it is better,but it's different. I...It feels like an attachment but it is still part of my body. I don't know. It's weird." Ishrug and sit on his bed watching him as he brushes his hair.

"Try living with one permanently."

"No, thanks, kid. The troubles it's getting me into are too much for me."

"The anger problem, right?"

"How..."

"Ma, I'm sixteen." He arches a brow just like Regina. "'Sides I knew Mom's problems from before. And it is magic, so I'm assuming you have the same troubles."

"God, when did you become so smart ass?"

"I was raised by the Evil Queen. She had and still has high demands," he states.

It's funny how all of the past is now material for jokes. Sure it stings us sometimes but it's treated as the past. We were different back then, we did bad things and now we are all fine with that. To some degree, we have accepted it.

"Don't I know it?" I hug our boy and kiss his head. "But we love her for that, right?"

"Wouldn't have it any other way. Life could never be boring with this family."

"Sometimes I swear the nurses switched you with some other kid."

"No, Ma. Iwas just raised by smart person."

"Yeah." I'm pretty sure he actually meant I'm dumb, but I'll let it pass today.

Irelease him from my bear hug and wait for him to say what's on his mind. He gets that look much like Regina when he is about to ask about what is troubling him.