under the covers 2

ship: alex x george

under the covers alex cried, cried at everything and nothing. he loved james, but he wasn't in love. alex felt so unloved in the relationship, but he couldn't bring himself to hate the man. now, he's completely alone.

he closed his eyes and imagined not being cold, not being alone. he imagined himself happy. nothing was happening, he was still cold and alone & so far from happy.

alex stopped weeping once he hear his door creak open. it could only be one person, george. the younger one wanted him to leave, embarrassed at how loud he must be.

"alex?" george whispered, his voice closer than alex thought he was. when he didn't respond, alex felt a dip in his bed, then a warm body next to him, a blanket the only barrier.

he felt himself become more calm, loving the feeling of warmth. "we don't need to talk, just let me under the cover, yeah?" he whispered, sounding so concerned and it hurt alex's heart how much of a burden he felt he was being.

slowly, alex turned around and looked at his flatmate, eyes teary. george said nothing, just moved closer and under the covers. immediately alex buried his face into the others chest, feeling himself cry. everything about george screamed safe and he wasn't going to stop himself from being with something safe.

the other wrapped his arm around alex and rubbed his back. george calmed alex down slowly by saying soft things and just being there. even after alex stopped sobbing, george kept him close to his chest, not wanting to let go.

"better?" george whispered as alex looked at him, his face red and puffy from crying.

alex nods, "thank you."

"love you, i'm always here." george smiles and kisses alex's cheek.

and at that moment alex realised he never stopped loving his best mate. instead of thinking too much about it, they both fell asleep together under the covers.