29. The new dispensation.

1:33pm.

WHEN
he woke the next morning, it was to Tiara's blurry face. He managed to open his eyes, she was standing beside him next to the bed, her hands on her hips.

"What are you doing here? Why didn't you sleep in your room?" She questioned once he opened his eyes and that was when he looked around. He really slept off in the guest room. Luckily he had cleared the ashes and kept the lighter before he passed out on his high in the midnight.

"Good morning to you too."

"It's after one already."

"I slept for twelve hours?"

"Uhm-mm, I hope this has nothing to do with Simi 'cos if it does then you're crazier than I thought." She moved away and he mentally thanked her for pointing out the obvious as he struggled to lift himself from the bed.

"It doesn't. This room is cooler than over there. Is Maami back?" He asked as he found his slippers under the bed.

"Yes since morning and she said there's a family meeting downstairs in ten minutes."

"Family meeting?"

"Yeah, you've forgotten one of those meetings we used to have when Sam was still here."

"No I haven't." He finally dragged himself up and walked towards her by the door.

"Go to your room and take a shower. You smell funny." Tiara sniffed. "Did something burn in here?"

"Nothing of such happened I made sure of that. I'll have my bath and I'll join you."

"Hurry."

"Yes ma." He was the elder but she hadn't yet come to that acceptance yet with the way she spoke to him sometimes. He wasn't really bothered about it, she was his baby sister, nothing could change that and as a woman, attitude was expected from her.

Tiara looked at him funny as he walked past her out of the guest room.

***

Whether he liked it or not, wanted it or not, it was the moment of truth and Adam told his family everything he had kept from them. Tiara was not surprised to hear about his marriage and divorce since she already found that out on her own but the news about her nephew caught her unaware and made her happy, too happy.

He told them about his mental illness too, but as flimsy as possible to not create fear in his mother and sister. He told them it was an instant result of Sam's death back then and he didn't know until four years after. Feyisetan was scared but he tried to tell her that he was fine as long as he was under medications, just like her.

"So when are you going back?" It was hard to ask but Feyi knew that at this point, her son going back was no longer an option. It was now a must because Wayne, her grandchild was now involved.

"Saturday."

"Saturday? Today is just Wednesday! Three days?! " Tiara exclaimed.

"Yes. My flight is by two at Ahmadu Bello International Airport and I have to be there by Friday."

"Abuja? Why Abuja? Hmm Adam... I hope it's not what I'm thinking."

"Quiet Tiara. What's your problem? What if it's what you're thinking? My boy, Abuja is just fine. And now that you only have a day to stay with us, I'm thinking of an outing today. We should all go out and celebrate."

"Mummy, what are we celebrating? His going back? Who knows when he's coming back again? Maybe another ten years. Or more."

"Aha Tiara. Calm down. What can we not celebrate? Wayne is a big addition to this family. I am a grandmother of a beautiful boy. Isn't that enough? And as a family now that everything is out in the open I want to believe things are going to change, a new dispensation for the Cokers." She directed that last line mainly to her son.