28. The walls he broke.

12:52pm,
Abuja

IN
an hour and quarter, Simi landed in Abuja. Ada, her manager had wanted to book her a ride back to the studio but she declined saying she wanted to see her mother and brother first so she arranged a cab for herself when she left the airport. Thank goodness her bag was light and not troublesome.

Her flight back to Abuja was longer now than the flight to Ibadan two weeks ago and she knew why; it was the painful thoughts that infringed her, the painful thoughts of parting with Adam, the painful thoughts of knowing that he quickly replaced her with Suwa. At first her sadness was only because she thought they would never get the chance to be together again when he leaves the country but when she saw her (Desuwa) in that jeep, she had felt more anxiety build inside her. She should have known something was up with them, that he was just catching fun with her.

Her thoughts jutted in different directions and some scenarios were brought to mind; like Todun's bachelorette party when Adam and Suwa met, the after wedding party  at the bar and that unforgettable morning when he raged out of nowhere, she was calling him endlessly before she left the hotel in annoyance. These things played through her mind and it was all adding up now that she had just made a fool of herself thinking Adam was honestly liking her. She even let him make passionate love to her, she had thought that was honest too. Now that she replayed it, they hadn't made love, it was just a good sex. Played. I've been played.

At that moment, the emotions that consumed her were too raw to think clearly, her nerves too frazzled to make rational decisions, so she brought out her phone from the cross purse, blocked and even deleted his number before the cab reached the airport. Whatever happened in Ibadan was going to stay in Ibadan, she decided in her heart. The driver just kept looking at her in a weird way.

Now that she was back to Abuja, a breeze of home blew her and she felt safer. Unlike Ibadan, she knew her way around here and there was a freedom that came with that knowledge. When she stopped an empty cab in front of the airport, she told the driver her destination, they talked about the price and she hopped in. He was a very rough driver but very fast too so the journey of forty minutes was reduced to thirty two.

Reaching her mother's house, the gate was opened as usual and she freely made her way into the big compound. It was a good thing that the estate was very secured because they had a very ineffective gateman, nothing like Ali. This man was always drinking and sleeping. Simi had told her mother that he had two unfortunate habits and advised that he should be dismissed but it wasn't her mother's decision to make. She and her son, Anjola were only one out of six other tenants that occupied the building.

She walked towards her mother's apartment and knocked the door.

"Who's that?" A mellow voice of a woman in her late forties called from inside.

"It's your daughter Mummy. Simi." She retorted sounding slightly brittle.

"Ah my girl, you're back." The door immediately opened and Simi was standing in front of her mother, Christy. It's been almost two months since they last saw. She opened the door more widely and Simi walked in.

Christy locked the door and turned to receive her daughter's outstretched arms. They hugged eachother tightly for what seemed like fifteen seconds and in no time, Simi began to cry. This particular reaction triggered Christy because her daughter that she knew never cried. Not for anything. Not even when her father died. Or her so-called first love. She immediately let go of the hug, rested her hands on Simi's shoulders and looked up at her daughter who was only few inches taller.

"Simi, are you okay? What's making you cry?"

Simi didn't say anything but she cried on, tears welled, burning at her eyelids and sliding down her cheeks. She was letting out a lot of emotions that she had contained for a long time.