14. The way her body moved.

4:08pm,
Bodija market.

BY
the time Adam carefully parked his mother's car in the parking lot of the reknowned market, Mrs. Coker had already changed her mind about coming with Simi into the market to shop for groceries as arranged saying that the sun was now too hot and she didn't want to be exposed to it. As surprised as Simi, Adam narrowed his eyes and he asked her again if she was really sure about her new decision.

"Maami, are you sure about that? I thought that was the reason I drove you guys here...so that you'd accompany her."

"Yes but you are here too. Go along with her. My dear..." She turned to Simi who just looked at mother and son with her eyes lit up, not getting the drift of what was happening yet. Adam was going to the market with her? "... I'm sure it wouldnt take too long right?" Mrs. Coker asked Simi.

"No. No Aunty. It won't. I'm only buying a few things." Then she turned her face reflexively to Adam who just studied her and then back to Feyisetan.

"That's okay dear. Let me give you some money," Mrs. Coker reached for her bag, brought some cash out and handed it to Simi, "That should be enough right?"

"Yes. It will do." She put the money in her small strap purse and alighted from the car, Adam too. Mrs. Coker assured the kids that she'd be in the car waiting for them, Simi also reassured her they wouldn't take too long and with that she went on her way into the hustling marketplace with Adam following behind her.

Primo, it was unbelievable to him what was happening now because it wasn't the plan. He was supposed to wait in the car while Simi and his mother went together into the market to buy whatever they had to but as karma would have it, he was now taking her place and there was nothing he could do about it.

He didn't like coming to markets at all mostly because of the crowds of people, the excess hubbub, the filthiness and the confusing smell of a lot of produce at the same time. As expected the atmosphere was rowdy with people who occupied spaces densely making their exit or entry and the noises were very loud; hawkers shouting their goods, buyers and sellers haggling prices and quality in different tones and languages, some exchanging native curses, the daily noise of traffic, constant horns of cars, trucks and okadas, and the only medium of entertainment was the gospel highlife music that blasted from one record shop.

He couldn't remember the last time he was in such an environment especially after his many years away in New York and that even made it more appalling. As kids, he never used to accompany his mother to the market. He'd rather stay at home or play at Bode's while Tiara and Sam would gladly go along. He would say that marketplaces made him sick and since in this society, it is not really a man's responsibilty to go to the market but a woman's, Mrs. Coker just let her son be...until now.

He tried to catch up with Simi who now walked faster and was few feets ahead of him, past the potbellied butchers, the abokis selling onions and the old women selling vegetables and fish maneuvering herself in between the huddled cluster.

"Hey slow down."

Simi looked behind her to see that he was talking to her. "Oh I'm sorry." She slowed down her pace and now that they were walking together, Adam put his right hand in his pocket taking in in his environment and musing.

When they got to the part of the market where some women displayed their fresh baskets of tomatos and pepper, she turned quickly to the nearest stall where a middle aged woman sat with her daughter under her umbrella hopefully awaiting customers. Sighting them, she immediately stood up to attend to them.