16. The littlest things.

11:33pm,
the Coker's Estate.

HE
said he'd be "right back" but he didn't return as expected, at least not immediately so. Unforeseen and uncontrollable situations of life had held him back and by the time he came downstairs, she had gone and he cussed himself under his breath. He'd only excused himself to take a leak  in his bedroom when his phone started to ring again, the reason why he left it behind angrily to drink some liquor earlier and lift his spirits when he first found her in the living room and these days when his phone rings like that, it's not usually good.

This time it wasn't even Lily. It was Dylan, his white buddy and colleague back at home in NY. They hadn't really talked since the last time they texted which was usually their thing so surprised to see his name pop up on his screen, he hesitantly picked it up, his forehead creasing and the voice hit him.

"Hey man. What's up? Being tryna reach you."

He released his expression as he answered Dylan in the same nimble tone.

"Hey Dee. I'm okay. I'm sorry I've just been busy. What's going on man? How's it over there?"

"Well... It's been good. Nothing unusual has been happening. Except for your wife. Or ex-wife I really dunno anymore. Which is why I called you..."

"Wait... Lily? Again? What did say she want?"

"She keeps coming around, saying you're not picking her calls, asking when you're coming back home and it doesn't look like she's gonna stop. It sounds like there's a big problem."

"Did she tell you what the problem is?"

"She won't talk to me man. When you coming back?"

"I don't know? I still have a week I guess.."

"You're gonna have to come deal with this. She's going crazy. I think she broke up with... that guy."

"Yeah she said that. I'll call her."

"You said that the last time Adam. You really should."

"Yes I said I will. Thanks Dylan. I owe you one.

"You don't owe me. We're friends remember? Just come back soon. We all miss you and the girls won't stop talking about you. It's beginning to itch my ears."

He wanted to smile at those last sentences because it was no secret how the ladies at his office were always over him but right now he couldn't manage to. It felt like things were getting out of hands.

"I'll try my best. Later man."

Angry and confused at the same time, Adam tossed his phone on the bed and sat on the couch-arm his hands cupping his face and thinking over what Dylan had just said. Truly, Lily had called his line a couple of time that same night and sent him messages saying she had something serious to discuss with him but everytime he ignored her. He just didn't want to go back there because only him knew the pain and derangement that she caused him the last time and here she was again, playing another one of her games.

His agitation grew even more after this last conversation making him wonder what she was really up to now. That little devil. After some minutes of pensiveness, he stood up, picked his phone and was going to call her right away. He was going to deal with it once and for all so that he could fully have his life back. Like that was possible. It hurt, reopening a wound that wasn't fully healed. It was painful but now it was the only way.