13. The very tempting offer.

11:43am,
the Coker's Estate.

The sun was very up and bright, ready for the day when Tobi and Obus, Adam's new buddies dropped him off in front of his family's estate the following morning after they all stayed over at Bode's hotel, succeeding their Drip Stripping the previous night. Leo had gone back home to his family as early as he could so he was the first to leave and Bode said he had some meetings to attend to too. When Adam decided to come back home, Tobi and Obus thought it was a good time for them to leave also so they offered to take him home.

He only clicked the doorbell button twice before Ali opened up the gate welcoming him with his endemic salutations.

"Ah Oga na you ... Good morning sir." He greeted him bowing his head, and though he wished he could stop him from calling him Oga, he knew there was nothing to be done about it and that there was no circumstance that would allow him, a gateman for that matter call him by his name even if he asked him to. It wasn't like that where he came from but he was no foreigner in this land either. That's just how it works in our society so he was getting used to it already.

"Good morning. How are you?"

"Ah I dey oo Oga. I just dey my lane jeje."

A corner of Adam's mouth lifted at his response as he locked the gate behind them.

"Is Maami home?"

"Yes Oga. She dey."

"What about my sister?"

"No she she no dey. She don go... she don go work. E never even tey wey she comot sef."

"Okay. Thank you Ali."

"Yes sir." With this short dialogue Adam walked into across the lawn and into the main house. Advancing into the big living room, it was his mother that he met on the smaller sofa knitting and watching TV, and she was the first to talk immediately she noticed his presence.

"My dear where have you been?" Feyisetan Coker removed her glasses from her face, picked up the remote from the ottoman that was in front of her and reduced the sound that came from the telly as Adam approached her, bowing to greet before he took his seat in the armchair next to her.

"Good morning Maami." He bowed again.

"Its noon already. Where have you been? Tiara said you were with your friend Bode but why didn't you call me?" It was like an attack on him.

"Yes, his friend had a birthday party last night so we all just crashed at his hotel. And I texted Tee. Just didn't want you worrying and all."

Mrs. Coker didn't say a word, she just looked at him so he continued, "I'm sorry. I should have called."

"It's fine. At least you're here now. But Adam I thought you came home to spend time with your family, your sister and I. You're going back in a week and you've not even had our time together since you arrived. Have you been avoiding us?"

"Ah Maami, why would you say something like that? Why would I come all the way just to avoid you guys?"

She shrugged, "I dont know either."

"I have not. It's just that... Okay you know what?I'm not going anywhere anymore. I'm going to stay by your side until I go back to America. What about that?" He said firmly topping it off with a perky smile that immediately replaced his mother's daunted expression with an amused one and she shook her head.

"Hmm o tun ti de. You always know how to cheer me up. I missed that." Adam laughed. She too.

"So ...have you eaten?"