20. The happy leaf.

9:24am,
the Coker's Estate.

BY
the time Simi woke up the next morning to a throbbing head, trying to adjust to what's dream and what's reality, the sheets soft and warm under her hand, she was no longer snuggling Adam, in fact she was no longer in his room. He must have carried her back to her own room somehow. Feeling a pinch of disappointment, she closed her eyes again, slapping her forehead and a flush crept up her face when it all came back. Their intimacy last night was over the moon and she could swear she wasn't going to get over it anytime soon, or ever. She still hurt a bit especially in the pelvis area from all the banging because it'd been almost two years since she was last with someone, and even more since a man was as affectionate to her.

It was just a touch and she had lost it, giving herself to him and he owned her in a way that she wished she was really his. She hadn't thought the sex would happen and if it was going to eventually, she hadn't thought it'd be now. But what did it mean? The intimacy? What did it make them now?

She didn't know what time it was but it had to be past nine or a little more. Without wasting more time, she got into the bathroom and began to spruce up. The red dress Ada had insisted on at Bode's party was the only option in her bag that was suitable for an occassion such as a wedding.

A knock hit the door and it happened that Adam had made some beverage and sent the houseboy to give it to her.

"Tell him I said thanks. And I'm almost done here ok?." She said with a controlled smile and the boy nodded, hoping back down the stairs.

The thought of his thoughtfulness made her blush as she shut the door and went on getting ready to join him downstairs, sipping her cup alongside. She really needed to regain her lost electrolytes.

About thirty minutes later, Adam and Simi went to pick Mrs. Coker and her sister, Dunni before they joined the just-wedded couples in church just in time for the "You may kiss the bride". The big cathedral was literally filled with a lot of people who had come from all over the country, even outside just to celebrate these two lovebirds and with the merry aura that permeated everywhere, the family had to be a well known family, Simi imagined.

After the church ceremonies were over, they all moved to the reception, a relatively big hall not too far away from where they were. The party continued there and went on for hours. Tiara, being the chief bridesmaid was hardly seen as she was always with the bride making sure that everything was in order just like a typical Nigerian wedding.

By evening, the party was rounding off, people were returning back to their homes, especially those who came from far distances like Accra, Lagos, Abuja and the couple with some of their close friends retreated to the bar upstairs the hall to party a bit more.

Simi, where she sat with her glass of rosé in her hand, legs and hands crossed watched the couples dance brightly with their friends and once in a while she would glance at Adam who was having a conversation with his friend Bode. He must have invited him too. Sometimes their eyes met and she'd look away wondering if they were talking about her.

"You don't like to dance?" She shuddered to the voice that surprised her and when she turned her head, it was Tari, the bride's brother.

"Hey..." She smiled dragging the word and he pulled out the chair next to her to sit.

"Hey to you too. I see you've been sitting here all the while. You don't want to dance?"

"Are you watching me?"

"Funnily yes. It's hard not to when you're the only bright thing in the room... I mean apart from my sister... But you... I can't stop staring. Don't mind my frankness."