23. The mystery and misery of Adam.

12:25pm

Adam, plainly in his khaki shorts, rested his two hands on the wall as he looked down from his window at Ali, the gateman who was thoroughly washing one of the two cars that were parked in the lot, whistling an old tune while he was at it.

Some hours earlier, after Simi had agreed to go on one date with him, over chat though and under the condition that he tells her everything he's being trying not to, which he promised that he was going to 'try my best', he had immediately sent for Ali and directed him to wash his mother's BMW and do it well.

He stood still, still watching Ali but thinking hard, very hard at what his next line of action should and would be. He needed a plan and maybe a plan B, just in case A fails.

He turned back into the room and threw himself on his maroon leather sofa, pondering over and over, a thing we can now freely call his habit. What do I tell Simi? Where do I even wanna start from? Is it Lily? Or should I start with Sam, my brother? Or my bipolar disorder. Oh shit! Or the fact that I'm a father? That I have a son and I only found out this morning ?

***Flashback ***

His phone vibrated next to his head and he woke up to morning, sun piercing into his eyes through the window. He managed to reach for the phone and open a picture message on Hangouts from his friend Dylan in NY that had a very disturbing caption, "What the hell is going on here? Adam is that your son? With Lily? Call me ASAP!"

It hit him like lightning when he abruptly punched his screen to see what he had least expected or in fact, never expected - a rare picture of Lily with a small boy in her car, his own car before the divorce. His resemblance with the boy was plethoric.

His heart skipped a beat and all sort of sleep that still lingered in his eyes automatically cleared and he briskly shoved off the duvet and sat up, letting his feet touch the very cold marbled floor.

Before he could embrace all the thoughts and questions that rushed him, he dialed Dylan who luckily for him was still online. The call connected and it rang for a long time, then it stopped. He tried again, and again until it went through the fifth time.

*** Present Time ***

A knock hit the door that caused an intermission in his brainwork where he laid on the sofa, one hand over his head, eyes closed but not sleeping. The knock came again.

"It's me Tiara. Open the door."

He hesitantly stood up, when he reached it, it happened that the door was not even locked.

He turned the knob and widened the door, "It wasn't locked."

"What have you been doing up here all day?" She bombarded him. "It's almost one and you didn't even come downstairs for breakfast. I've tried calling your number, it kept saying busy. I was hoping to talk to you."

"Yeah about that... now is not a good time Tee-"

"How come it's never a good time with you these days? And clearly we need to talk. I don't-"

"Yeah. But not now. I'm trying to figure some things out and-" He cut her short again.

"Things like what?" She too.

"Tee, can we do this later please? I-"

"A lot is going on with you and you need to talk to someone. You need to let it out, let's know what's eating you up. Jeez, you're my brother and I am your sister, your only sister! You should talk to me."

He sighed, not again. "Sis, I appreciate that and sure we're gonna talk but right now I have something very crucial that I have to think about and fast. I'll come meet you downstairs. What about that?"