7. The sister's friend's friend.

10:30am,
the Coker's Estate.

IT
was still hard to believe. Simi just stood there on the staircase, one hand on the banister looking fixedly at him because she was just as startled too, perhaps more.

To think he had been trying not to think about her since the last time he saw her, telling himself to get over the thoughts because he was dead sure he would never see her again but just like that, she was there. Maybe if Tiara had told him a visitor was joining them, maybe he would have prepared himself at least. At least.

He collected himself as she walked gently down the stairs to join him on the dining table where he stood still observing her. The closer she got, the better she looked, the faster his heart beat and he felt a quick frisson jolt down his spine, then a thin smile played on her lips. It was flawless, just like the last time but now he could see her in detail unlike the last time.

This time her beaded dreads were held up like a bun leaving a strand to hang so it was easier to take in her every feature, her pointed nose and the septum nose ring, her rosebud lips, the birthmark on her lower lip and her several ear piercings. She was wearing a sleeveless chemise with a 'V' that went down to her bust showing off her silvery cannabis necklace in between, and a denim short that bore her glossy dark skin and no make up save her glassy lips.

She had a wafer-thin figure but that didn't excite him as much as her tiny waist. He could swear he had never seen anything as fragile and her entire frame mesmerized him. Now that they were standing only inches away, a feeling simultaneously heated up in their chests.

"Hi. I'm Simi. We meet again."

She finally said when she reached him and he could feel the awkwardness in the situation.

"Yeah, again."

Adam cleared his throat and  the expression that was written all over him trying not to be so weird and end up creating the wrong impression. Women, he thought had an uncanny habit of taking advantage of such weakness.  Not to sound rude he continued,

"It's nice to see you again... I didn't know we had a visitor. I'm sorry if I look too surprised. I don't mean to be rude. I'm almost as new as you in this house." His tone was very calm and courteous, more relaxing.

"No it's fine. I'm... I'm Tiara's friend's friend." She stammered not knowing how to explain it and she noticed the way his eyebrows wrinkled so she quickly added, "I'm just going to be here only a couple of days. It's —"

"That's fine. You're welcome. I'm her brother and I'm also staying a couple of days."

"Oh. Perfect... Sorry... I mean.. cool."

He pulled his chair and settled down,  she imitated him too at the other side of the table and without another word they began to eat. For Adam, this was the most awkward moment. He had always been good with the ladies, but this was different. This made him weak in the knees. He'd been with a lot of girls, but none had made him this uncomfortable and that bothered him.

True he had been out of the game for a long time but it couldn't be that bad. So what was this feeling? He asked himself. And whatever it was, he didn't want it, neither did he need it at the moment. It was idiotic. No sensible person felt so strongly about a total stranger and he didn't even think she was the kind of woman he usually liked. She was too skinny for him, he mused while they eat quietly and awkwardly.

Besides, he obviously had enough on his plate, But he didn't know what about her seemed so different from all the many other women he had met that immediately captivated him. He didn't even know her yet but every part of him already ached to and what made her so... offbeat. He wrestled with the thought but it was quite impossible, especially with her across him on the table and the way her look was pleasing to all his senses.

Simi turned her head slightly and saw his face catching her eyes so he looked away and picked up his phone. She was too adorable like nothing he'd ever seen before and all he wanted to do was stare. If there was really a god who created people, he thought, he did quite a job creating her because how can a woman be so effortlessly fine. Deep down he wanted to know what it was exactly about her that caught all his attention.

Her face, her outre look, her slender shape and perky breasts, were one of their kinds but he still couldn't figure it out, it must have been more or, maybe it was just normal physical attraction. But whatever it was, it was too raw and he still didn't want it. He immediately concluded to switch off the spur she had turned on in him and focus on why he was home. He had to pay more attention to his mother and he was still waiting on a reply from Lily.

When he finished his meal, he said a few words to her about Tiara coming home soon, cleared his table and headed into his room. He needed to think.

***

When Tiara got back from her shop in the evening, she and Simi met, and she'd been very nice and welcoming with all the smiles and hugs. She asked her to feel at home and introduced her to Feyisetan, her mother who also received her warmly. She said her brother who just came for a short visit from New York is just settling in and would be joining them for dinner but Simi told her that they already met.

While they fixed dinner and talked in the kitchen, Simi forced herself not to think about Adam or the awkwardness of meeting him again after what seemed impossible. Her feelings were strange, really. She noticed that he was thunderstruck, but she, she had been taken aback. Like what the...! Slack-jawed, she had literally stopped in her tracks, her posture stiffened and a heavy knot formed in her stomach. What was he doing here? was the question she had first asked herself before she figured he was the Oga who had just returned from 'abroad'.

When they had lunch few hours ago, she had managed to act natural, pretending like she didn't feeling the sparks that flew between them in the room but deep down she had been  swept off by his presence and the kind of feelings he had successfully awakened in her, feelings she didn't think she was capable of.

He had appeared out of the blue and it was still hard wrapping her head around it and harder acting like she wasn't feeling what she was feeling. She remembered the way she felt when she first met him at the party for what seemed like a split second and how she'd been unable to stop thinking about it. Ada even teased her about it back in the hotel the other night after he left.

When it was some minutes after eight, dinner was served, Adam came back downstairs like Tiara predicted and Mrs. Coker said the grace. As they ate, he asked Tiara about what happened in her shop and she narrated the story of how she was nearly duped by some lady who allegedly came to buy some home appliances (a refrigerator, a water dispenser, a gas cooker, a washing machine and a microwave) that was worth a lot with fake notes. When she was stopped and asked about it, she said it was her fiancé who gave it to her for her new apartment, her fiancé who travelled to SA a week ago.

First it sounded like fraud but when she kept on explaining and was close to tears, Tiara figured the lady might have been duped too so she just returned the money and took back her goods even though the people insisted they called the police. She said she was too weak for police drama and besides she had a recovering mother to attend to at home. If she was fraud, karma would catch up with her soon. Not long, she came back home.

After hearing the story, Adam presumed it was a scam and the lady should have been arrested. He added that her tears were all part of the play and Tiara was almost a victim. Well, thank goodness the lady was stopped and didn't get away with it. Mrs. Coker and even Simi seconded that part.

Then his phone beeped, a reply from Lily.