27. The moment of truth.

10:40am,
the Cokers' Estate,
Ibadan.

BY
the time Adam returned into his room after Simi left followed by his very awkward meeting with Desuwa downstairs, he was still a bit frenzied, for more than one reason. One, he still felt stupid with their little conversation outside.  He had thought she came to visit him when he hadn't invited her. He didn't think she and his sister had become good friends because Tiaraoluwa wasn't really her fan and two, Simi had gone and gone for good.  She had already blocked his number so that he wouldn't be able to reach her. Like...why so fast? It was still hard to believe that whatever they shared had meant nothing to her and even if it did, she had moved on faster than he could have imagined. It was not much, what they shared but it was something and for him it was strong, he thought.

But maybe she was right, nothing more could actually happen between them since New York according to her was 'a whole world away from here' which was true and it would be hard keeping up even if they tried to work something; with his job, his son, and the music career she got going for herself. Then three, he had a very perturbing and revealing breakfast with his mother earlier.

<FLASHBACK>

"Tiara told me some things." His heart skipped one beat when Feyisetan started.

His eyes bugged out as he dropped the dish that Tiara had just made in front of her on the bed where she laid.. "What -- what did she say?"

"Nothing I don't already know."

"Maami, what do you mean by that?" He asked again once he settled into the small settee that was beside her, becoming agitated.

"You didn't listen to what I told you Adam. You didn't even think about it at all." Her voice was shaky and doleful and that, that agitated him even more.

"I'm not getting you."

Feyisetan stretched for her food, hauled it to rest on her laps and opened it before she continued.

"After all my pleas, Adam, you still want to go back to New York and I don't understand why you're so adamant about it. Do you have another family there apart from us? Because I don't get it at all. Answer me, do you?" She questioned him.

"No Maami." He instantly countered, hesitantly because that... was a very sensitive question. "How-how is that possible? But.. but... I have a life there too that I can not just disappear from...especially now and you need to understand me too." He pleaded.

"Hehe which kind of life is it that you can't come back home to your family? Eh? After nine years, nine good years. Your own family Adam, your sister and I. Tell me, what's more important than us? Is it your job?"

"It's not just that Maami." He took a deep breath. It was going to be hard telling his mother the truth. Hard and afflicting. "There are some things I need to tell... "

"See Adam I understand. I understand that you have a life going on for you in America but you can always get a good job here too, with all your degrees and certificates you'd get even a much better job that would pay you a lot and enough to start a family here. Or... Is it a woman? My dear, there are plenty of them here. 'Plenty of fishes in the sea'. You already know that... Just look at Simi, she's beautiful and respectful. She's a Yoruba girl from a good family too and... "