Chapter 20 - The War

Previously in Elements: The Beginning...

Ranald and his friends finally confront their parents about their involvement in SPEAR. The children then find out the history of the secret agency.

The history continues...

                                   *  *  *

"Yes, we're happy" I replied. "But why did your parents suppress your powers?" I asked. "We need to know more about that alter-human war."

"Alright..." said my father. "The war started when our parents were at the peak of their careers. We were just children I believe," my father said. "Our parents were doing well in achieving the goals their parents set..."

"That's until a maniac rose to power in a small country just off the coast of Asia, near China," Lilly's mother continued.

"He had similar traits to Hitler, so the special unit wasted no time going to the country to try to prevent the situation from escalating," said Rudolph's father.

"When the unit arrived in the country, immediately they started planning on how to bring the tyrant to justice," my father said.

"One member of the unit suggested killing the enemy," my mother continued with the story. "The rest of the unit didn't really pay attention to him because he always suggests killing,"

"Eventually they finished planning and decided to carry out their plan the next day," Lilly's father said. "They went to bed early the night before the mission so that they could be alert."

"The next morning they were awakened by frightening news," my mother said. "The tyrant was dead."

"His death was a mystery to normal people but it wasn't a mystery to the special unit," Rudolph's father said.

"Why was it a mystery?" I asked.

"They found sand in his lungs," my mother answered.

"What?" We said with fright.

"Yes," said my mom. "And the unit knew exactly who did it..."

"There was only one person among them who can control sand, and it was Sandi..."

"Sandi?" Donald asked.

"Yes," his father replied. "The member who wanted the tyrant dead."

"He knew that it wouldn't take them two seconds to figure it out, so he just admitted to doing it there and then," Rudolph's father said.

"Sounds like he was proud of doing it," said Donald.

"Oh yes, he was. He even said he would do it again in a heartbeat,"

"Woah!" I said.

"Why did he hate tyrants so much?" Donald asked.

"Well..." my father began. "He's Dr Zack's sister's son,"

We were surprised to hear that Sandi was related to Zack.

"Sandi's mom was left in Germany when Sydney decided to leave with his family," my father continued.

"Why did they leave her?" I asked.

"We don't know for sure. We assume she wanted to stay to help fight against Hitler," my mom answered.

"She fought to her last breath..." Lilly's mom said. "Zack and Sandi found out that she was taken to a concentration camp where she starved to death."

"From the moment Sandi found out about his mother, his hatred for Hitler, or anyone like him, grew..." Lilly's father continued.

"Anyways..." said my father. "Back to the story...unknown to some members of the unit, Sandi was recruiting people for his cause. When Sandi was in jail, the alter-humans that were on his side broke him out and they fled into hiding,"

"The remaining members of the special unit stopped searching for them after a while and thought they wouldn't be much of a threat because they were quiet," Rudolph's father said.

"They were wrong to forget about them," said my father. "Out of the blue, an alert about an alter-human attack came to the special unit..." my father took a deep breath. "Sandi was attacking a small town,"

"Thankfully, he was stopped before anyone got hurt," said my mother. "The unit took him and his crew into custody and questioned him..."

"When they asked him why he was attacking the small town, he said alter-humans should use their powers to rule over humans, to keep them in line before they become evil tyrants," said Lilly's mom with sadness.

"It was a pity that he didn't know that was the same mentality that made tyrants who they are," my father said.

"He hated tyrants so that he became one," said my mom softly, shaking her head.

"The unit was planning on keeping him locked up for years but somehow he managed to escape...again," Donald's father said.

"We later found evidence that it may have been an inside job...maybe he had convinced some of the remaining members of the unit to turn..." my father said.

"You said, 'we', as in you guys?" Donald asked pointing at our parents.

"Yes," his father replied.

"Wait...it took that long to realised that Sandi had someone on the inside?"

"Yes," my father said.

"Sandi had a lot of sleeper agents in the unit and all over the world...he gained followers rapidly," said my mom.

"How did you guys find out?" I asked.

"Okay, so after the whole thing with Sandi, SPEAR was formed—" Mr Smith began.

"What does that have to do with what Ranny asked?" Asked Rudolph interrupting his father.

"I'm getting to there son..." Rudolph's father replied. "The war wasn't completely over because SPEAR still fought a few of Sandi's agents here and there. SPEAR and Sandi fought until our parents handed down SPEAR to us."

"Everything was quiet in our first few years at SPEAR," Rudolph's mom said.

"Then all of a sudden, everything blew up," said my father.

"Almost all of our secret bases got attacked...a lot of our agents were killed," my mom continued the story.

"There were only one-way SPEAR's enemies could know where all its bases and its agents were..." said Donald thoughtfully.

"Exactly," my father confirmed. "There were a lot of rats in SPEAR."

"So are there still moles in SPEAR?" I asked.

"We believe so...that's why we keep things in the inner circle,"

"The important things, that is," said Rudolph's father.

"The inner circle?" Lilly asked.

"Us, Gareth and Marcus," answered Lilly's mom.

"How do you guys prevent the moles from getting information?" I asked.

My mom was about to answer when Gareth burst through the door panting.

"He has been spotted," he said between breaths.

"Who?" Asked my father.

"Jaden," Gareth responded.

"Where?" Asked my father quickly.

"At the entrance of Bridge Gate!"

____________________________

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to apologise for taking so long to update the book, I was off Wattpad for a while.

Now you guys know the full history of SPEAR and the kids' parents. I hope things are more clear now.

As usual, if you liked the chapter, don't forget to vote and comment on what you liked. If you didn't like the chapter tell me why in the comments.