Chapter 11 - Setting a Man on Fire

Marcus pressed a button and immediately, the chamber became dark.

"Um, what's happening?" Rudolph asked from the chamber.

"We're just trying something, Mr Smith," said Marcus.

"Um, okay..." came Rudolph's shaky voice.

"How is making the chamber dark, going to increase his heart rate?" Asked Lilly.

"His heart rate is a bit high already," began Marcus. "So, I'm just going to increase it a bit more now..." he pressed the button that triggers the wind blasts in the chamber.

"I can't see what's happening inside," I told Marcus.

"Oh, come look here..." Marcus pointed towards one of the computer screens.

On the screen, we saw a video in night vision mood. After a while, I realised that it was the chamber.

I saw Rudolph on the floor trying to get up.

A thought came to me.

"I know how we can increase his heart rate without hurting him too much," they looked at me attentively. "Rudolph gets annoyed super easily...so maybe you could shoot small blasts of air at him at a very fast rate."

"Hmm, that could work," said Marcus. "And I also don't want him to be too weak, because that might hinder his powers."

We saw Marcus turning a dial and on one of the computer screens, a virtual dial came up. On top of the virtual dial, it said, "Wind Force".

He turned the dial for some time and then went back to the wind blast button. Marcus rapidly pressed the button.

On the video screen, we saw Rudolph turning in random directions. Slowly his facial expression changed.

We saw his heart rate increases on another monitor.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "It's working!"

After a few more press of the wind blast button, one of the monitors started beeping.

Marcus went over to the monitor and we followed.

"His body temperature is rising at an abnormal rate," Marcus said.

"That's a good sign..." Donald said. "Well for him..."

"I'm going to put the wind blasts on automatic so that I can observe his temperature."

Marcus went over to the wind blast button and held it down. He released the button and joined us.

"I think we should also monitor the temperature of the chamber," Donald said.

"That's a good idea," Marcus agreed. He typed some things and another temperature reading came up on the screen.

"Hm, twenty-six degrees Celsius," said Donald. "Two degrees higher than room temperature...interesting..."

"He's heating up the room?" Lilly asked.

"Yes, he is..." answered Marcus, eyes focused on the monitor.

Suddenly, the temperature of the room rose exponentially.

We observed Rudolph.

He was standing in the middle of the chamber with his fist clenched.

All of a sudden, the video feed changed from green to white with a bit of green tint. We looked up at the chamber instantaneously and flames filled the room.

After a while, the flames in the room subsided and it was only Rudolph who was covered in flames.

A blast of air hit Rudolph in the back of his head, and the flames on his head grew bigger as he became angrier.